Trumpet playing - a lot of hot air??

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by tjcombo, Dec 17, 2012.

1. tjcombo

tjcombo Forte User

Nov 12, 2012
    Melbourne, Australia
    (First post) Thanks for all the great info that I’ve picked up reading your posts. It’s been most helpful as I try to build a new and better set of chops.
    I started playing again about six months back after a 23 year lay-off. The thing that drove me take up trumpet again with more passion than I ever had is that I’d been taking singing lessons for about a year and a half. One day I cleaned and lubed my old horn and discovered that, apart from lousy endurance and articulation, I hadn’t slipped as far back as I’d feared. About three weeks after I started playing I had the chance to sit in with a rock band which gave further reason to practice hard. At the gig, I was able to play with confidence beyond what was my regular range all those years ago.
    I swear that the secret is the understanding and use of wind that came from my singing teacher. And it cuts both ways… If I practice trumpet for an hour or so, singing works so much easier. It’s like the airways relax, open up and everything works more efficiently.
    Six months on, I’m a total brass tragic (with a nasty dose of n+1) and enjoying music more than ever:-)

2. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    It's the spirit of giving and giving back. Go with the flow.

3. kingtrumpet

kingtrumpet Utimate User

Sep 20, 2009
    New York State USA
    if I sing -- then I realize how much better a trumpet player that I am vs. my singing ability ROFL ROFL ROFL

4. tjcombo

tjcombo Forte User

Nov 12, 2012
    Melbourne, Australia
    I'm hearing you brother! The training my ears got when I learned to play trumpet told me that if I was gonna sing, I'd better get some lessons. Now I'm playing trumpet again I have two (not very advanced) works in progress to keep me going into my dotage.

5. Vulgano Brother

Vulgano Brother Moderator Staff Member

Mar 23, 2006
    Parts Unknown
    My sight singing was horrible until I started spending time working on intervals with the mouthpiece alone. I have a usable range of about an octave and a not so usable voice in an indeterminate key, but playing, singing and most everything else works best without tension.

6. tjcombo

tjcombo Forte User

Nov 12, 2012
    Melbourne, Australia
    not just with the mouthpiece, buzzing too. I couldn't buzz properly (or was too lazy to learn) all those years back. Now with improved breathing, buzzing and MPC work (stuff that I've read about online from resources like this), it all makes more sense. It's still hard work - staying relaxed while your diaphragm is doing the heavy lifting is a real head game:-)