Trumpet Playing and hearing -aid

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by anthony, Sep 15, 2009.

1. anthony

anthony Mezzo Piano User

Mar 3, 2009
    I am a come back player been playing just about 7 1/2 months and has had tinnitus for about 8 years ,now my hearing has gotten where I am having trouble with normal conversation ,I was told I need to wear 2 hearing -aids .I am wondering how it will effect my trumpet playing , Is their other trumpet players on TM that are wearing hearing -aids because Iam a little depressed about this right now I dont want to stop playing the trumpet a second time I really LOVE playing the horn, Anthony :-(

2. ComeBackKid

ComeBackKid Fortissimo User

May 11, 2009
    Yorba Linda, CA
    Well, maybe you will be the first one here to find out. It sounds like the hearing aid issue is the first priority. After all, you need to function in life. I don't know what sort of aids you have in mind or what your budget is, but the new technology is pretty amazing. Some of the high-end units can apparently be custom-tuned for your needs so it would not surprise me if they could do that so the trumpet will sound natural enough that it won't affect your playing (or - better yet, improve it?). Of course the custom ones can be pretty spendy so that's why the budget issue comes into play. But, in any event, it seems that with time and practice, you will be able to adapt to whatever solution you choose and continue to play. I have tinnitus which is constant but so far it has not affected normal functions or trumpet playing. I will be interested to hear what you find out about this.
    Good Luck!

3. trumpetnick

trumpetnick Fortissimo User

Nov 16, 2005
    Vidin, Bulgaria
    Rod Franks, The principal of London Symphony Orchestra lost his right ear hearing due to removal of a tumour.
    If you wanna read the whole story visit ITG News: Rod Franks CD . I hope this helps.

Last edited: Sep 15, 2009
  4. rdt1959

rdt1959 Pianissimo User

Oct 31, 2003
    Georgia
    I wear hearing aids in both ears due to major hearing loss (genetic nerve degeneration...nothing to due with the trumpet), and have for years. It does present some challenges, but if you stick with it you can find ways to adapt. My biggest challenge is with solo work, especially if playing a solo with a CD (such as in Church). I wear headphones for those occassions.

I also play with a community orchestra. Although I do pretty well with the group, I have to work a bit harder than most to play in tune.

Beyond any doubt, my biggest problem is hearing the conductor during rehearsal.

5. anthony

anthony Mezzo Piano User

Mar 3, 2009
    Thanks guys for your input I am going for hearing tests next week ,I dont feel too bad about it now ,again much appreciated ,Anthony

6. Bucaneer61

Bucaneer61 Pianissimo User

Oct 17, 2007
    Buckhannon, WV
    I've played for the last six years with one aid. No problems at all, (unless I'm sitting just in front of a drum set). My aid actually is a digital aid that has a "music" setting which activates the rear facing mic. and boosts the low freq. sounds. Works for me - go for it. You may find, as I did, that the increased hearing actually helps in a band/orch. setting.

Michael

7. anthony

anthony Mezzo Piano User

Mar 3, 2009
    Wow that sounds cool when I go for the hearing -aid or aids may need two ,I should mention to the audiologist that I play trumpet I keep thinking that they may tell me not to play trumpet ,This I dont want ,my wife tells me not to tell them I play but I think I should as you say they may be able to fit me with specialized aids to help me hear my playing ,Thnaks Anthony

8. oldlou

oldlou Forte User

Aug 28, 2005
    Grand Rapids, Mi.

I have the self same problems and I have come up with a different solution. In one of the community concert bands that I play principal trumpet in I promoted a teen age girl to sit next to me in the band. Now don't get any ideas about pedophilia. I do love the girl, but, like a grandfather. She also plays exceedingly well. I tease her that I consider her to be my "ambulatory hearing aid'. The trick is that I mean it. She can understand what the conductor is mumbling as he looks down at a score on his podium. All that I can hear is that he is saying something, not, what he is saying. As far as playing in tune, I don't seem to have a problem with that.

OLDLOU>>

9. Jack C.

Jack C. New Friend

Aug 20, 2009
    North-Central Illinois
    I also have Tinnitus and wear two hearing aids due to auditory nerve damage which may have, in part, been caused buy ff and fff loud brass music performance. Buy all means tell your Audiologist you play trumpet. I did and the Audiologist has worked with me to achieve a good result. My hearing aids are digital and can be programed with up to four different settings to suit various hearing environments and situations. I have the following settings: One for quite conversation and watching plays or movies, one for restaurants and church, another noisy environments like rehearsal and concerts. I have not had the last programing set installed as yet.

I do not wear my hearing aids for practice or rehearsal as yet as I seem to be doing alright and want to avoid further damage to my hearing or to the hearing aids. Sometimes, I wear just one of them so I can hear the conductor's instruction and have learned to turn it off by opening the battery compartment door before resuming playing. I also do this because I, like many persons with auditory nerve damage, suffer from "recruitment" of sound impulses. Which means that the auditory nerve and other inner ear structures sometimes amplify sound to an very painful level. Auditory recruitment has been describe as a type of neural reverberating circuit. So, I am very mindful about not wearing my hearing aids in very noise environments.

The other problem is the occasional feedback which can occur when certain frequencies of sound cause a high pitched tone in one or both hearing aids. Feed back can be fixed with adjustment of the volume setting.

My Audiologist has been a great help in working through these problems.

Good luck and best regards,

Last edited: Sep 18, 2009
  10. Tom W.

Tom W. New Friend

Aug 16, 2009
    sterling IL USA
    Keep in mind that a lot of musicians use in-the-ear monitors when they perform on stage. This has to feel a lot like wearing a hearing aid, and it apparently doesn't bother them too much. I tried hearing aids about 8 years ago and gave up on them after about a year. Not because of trumpet playing, but because they failed to help me hear better. When I played with them on, my tone sounded a little artificial, but I could also hear my articulations much better than before, making it pretty much a wash. The problem was that the aids seemed to magnify all the incidental sounds, and didn't center in on the music. I think that all depends on what specific frequencies your audiologist has decided to amplify. What didn't work for me might be just great for someone else. Each prescription is unique to some degree. Good luck with them, I hope they help.