trumpet playing and weed

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Jamesd1196, Oct 19, 2013.

1. Lionelsax

Lionelsax Mezzo Piano User

May 8, 2013
    We talk about playing not about driving, try to do both you will se than it's it's more dangerous than driving when you're drunk.

2. kehaulani

kehaulani Fortissimo User

May 14, 2011
    Hawaian homey
  3. amzi

amzi Forte User

Feb 18, 2010
    Northern California
    If I understood the original question it was about playing under the influence of weed. The exchange that has ensued seems to be more directed toward the question of marijuana use in general. Those opinions seem to be equally divided, much as our society is. I'd like to return to that original question and offer my opinion based on my personal experience. I've played with guys many guys who were under the influence of alcohol and/or drugs. In every instance it was my opinion that the higher they got the worse they played, and the better they thought they played. So, I would advise you to not perform under the influence of any sort of mood altering substance.

4. Uncle Dave

Uncle Dave Pianissimo User

Jul 7, 2008
    Weyburn, Sk., Canada
    Well -- it didn't seem to bother ol' Pops and he played OK. I personally have never done the two at the same time, but have tried them separately, and don't feel any worse for it. Best not to try that stuff in USA because you have some crazy laws there and it could really mess up your life. And, it was previously pointed out that at your age of brain growth there can be negative effects.

5. amzi

amzi Forte User

Feb 18, 2010
    Northern California
    My response intentionally focused specifically on playing while actively under the influence of marijuana. As far as it's effect on Armstrong--how do we know it didn't effect him. Because he was such a consistent and heavy marijuana user for virtually his entire adult life there is no way to judge what he would have done without that influence. For those who are unaware of his drug habit, Armstrong smoked 3 cigar sized "joints" every day of his adult life--and by the way he suffered debilitating lung disease and died of lung disease prior to his 70th birthday. I don't know that the drug use and his lung disease were related either.

6. kehaulani

kehaulani Fortissimo User

May 14, 2011
    Hawaian homey
    Well, that's like the joke of the hippie walking down the street snapping his fingers. Finally one day someone asked him what that was all about and he answered, "to keep the elephants away". When the questioner replied sarcastically, "that's the stupidest thing I've ever heard of", the hippie replied, "you don't see any elephants, do you?"

Art Pepper played his @ss off and he was always under the influence of chemicals. Even when off of heroin, he was still on double and triple methadone. I thinks it's individual. I really believe that Art was incapable of controlling his demons enough to concentrate on playing without the assist of drugs. If the subject is playing while under the influence, he, Bird and a host of others played very well. If the topic is, did they pay a price, the answer is, heck yeah.

7. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    Just think how much more amazingly better a player Art would have been if he were ENTIRELY of the influence of chemicals.

8. Dale Proctor

Dale Proctor Utimate User

Jul 20, 2006
    Heart of Dixie
    And to think we've all been trying to become better players by practicing, going on safaris for the right equipment, studying different methods, etc., when the real answer was drugs.

9. tobylou8

tobylou8 Utimate User

Dec 22, 2008
    Virginia
    So I should trade in my horn for a bong???? Gonna give a whole new meaning to "blow".

10. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    Nah... just use the spit valve at the tuning slide as a roach clip, clip a small fan behind it, and when the cloud reaches the bell... inhale... Problem solved. You have a horn and a bong. Pattent the design and call it the I'm-not-Straight Mute.