trumpet playing and weed

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Jamesd1196, Oct 19, 2013.

1. Sethoflagos

Sethoflagos Utimate User

Aug 7, 2013
    Lagos, Nigeria
    ...now waiting for the Schagerl Ganja Horn

2. Dale Proctor

Dale Proctor Utimate User

Jul 20, 2006
    Heart of Dixie
    Paint it in rainbow colors and it will sell to two different markets.

3. tobylou8

tobylou8 Utimate User

Dec 22, 2008
    Virginia
    Duuuude, like how did you get so smart?? That's like a really wicked idea! An how about hanging a bag of chips from a slide or something! Cool!

4. kehaulani

kehaulani Fortissimo User

May 14, 2011
    Hawaian homey
    Haven't you been reading my posts? My points are:

- 1.) one has no idea how someone like Art, who was always on drugs, might or might not have played without them. That's conjecture trying, in a sense, to prove the negative. And,
    - 2.) Art had so many emotional and psychological problems that it's possible, if not highly likely, that he would have been incapacitated with his demons to the point of distraction and dysfunction without his chemicals. There are people just like that.

5. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    Sorry, I could't see them through the smoke cloud emulating from my tuning slide spit valve.

6. gzent

gzent Fortissimo User

Nov 5, 2003
    Rochester, MN
    Big assumption. He may have had some mental illness that was debilitating and given the lack of effective treatment or the social stigma he didn't
    get "proper" care. I think a lot of people turn to alcohol or easily obtained drugs to cope with their illnesses, for whatever reason.

7. Phil986

Phil986 Forte User

Nov 16, 2009
    Near Portland, OR.
    This is possibly right on point. Art, like many other artists, was probably suffering from mental illness and had a combination of disorders. These do manifest as chemical imbalances in the brain and contrarily to a widespread perception, people who suffer from them do not have as much "control" over it as could be thought because it is "only" a behavior. The behaviors are symptoms, outside manifestations. They're no less a consequence of the illness than the ulcers on the feet of a diabetic. Back in the days when very little was known about these disorders, almost everyone suffering from them self medicated with alcohol or whatever they could find that brought any kind of relief.

There are some out there who think they should do drugs because Bird did it and was great. They are profoundly mistaken, in my opinion. The great did not play great because of the drugs, although many of them may have been able to generally function in life thanks to the drugs. Some of them might have done a lot better with modern prescription drugs.

8. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    Perhaps.... Some would say: "Better to have a bottle-in-front-of-me than a frontal lobotomy."

9. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    OR it's just plain old substance abuse... that has its own ICD-10 code you know

10. Dr.Mark

Dr.Mark Mezzo Forte User

Apr 5, 2011
    roach clip?
    How the hell did bugs get in the post? You mean people are now ingesting roaches to get high?
    Nope, no bugs for me. Too many diseases. I'll stick to good old huffing gasoline and glue like God intended.
    But seriously. We live in a very litigious society where people are judged by what the ingest instead of the content of their character. Does smoking pot make Scoobie Doobie our little dope smoking friend a bad person? Probably not. However, if Scoobie is a turd, then Scoobie will probably be a turd squared when intoxicated. Then again, Scoobie may come from an environment where self medicating with marijuana helps him survive in a very abusive, violent community. Everyone can't live in Mayberry. There's Compton, Watts, parts of Balitmore, Toledo, Miami, ect. All scary dangerous places where violence and death are part of the landscape.
    Now days, because there's such a push to scoop up as many users as possible so local law enforcement can maintain Federal Funding, I don't consider these people as arrested. I consider them "harvested". Why? Because law enforcement is "harvesting" statistics to maintain Federal Funding. We live in a land where the corrections industry is as hooked on Federal funding as Keith Richards is hooked on heroin. Let's hope little Scoobie Doobie doesn't get "harvested".
    Dr.Mark