trumpet playing and weed

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Jamesd1196, Oct 19, 2013.

1. redintheface

redintheface Pianissimo User

Nov 8, 2010
    Bath, UK
    So now Harrelson trumpets alter your state of mind? I'm getting one! ROFL

2. Dr.Mark

Dr.Mark Mezzo Forte User

Apr 5, 2011
    why did he (gmonady) need a Harrelson when he already also has a Martin Committee?
    -----
    That's easy! Because he hasn't saved up enough for a vintage Holton MF Horn.
    But seriously, I have a 1953 martin Committee and it's a great horn in certain circumstances such as playing modal and Miles stuff. The stuff that I play requires me to not be slipping and sliding around. The Martin has a lot of "give" around the notes and intervals. By the way. The MF Horn (so it is said)is based on the large bore Martin Committee. If you've not tried one, you might want to. They are really great horns.
    Dr.Mark

3. afp

afp Pianissimo User

Oct 9, 2013
    Roseburg, OR
  4. kingtrumpet

kingtrumpet Utimate User

Sep 20, 2009
    New York State USA
    no- I think according to GM's own admission on TM, or certainly in my contact with him . Good ole GM ole buddy, ole pal, insisted that he can't play on an Asymmetric mpc, or certainly indicated, he could not play as well as on his Jettone. I offered to let him play my King Silver Flairs and also my tenor trombone -- but we have yet, to find a date, when our schedules will allow that!!!!!! --- but, I do agree -- that GM, he sure can play a trumpet well!!!

5. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    The Harrelson is a he!! of a lot easier to play, slots like a laser and is everything the Martin Committee is not... and at my age, I need ease and comfort when playing lead charts. I am definitely NOT getting any younger. By the way, the Committee is not a bad lead horn. It served Dizzy well. Actually, right now my Olds Super sings with little effort as a lead trumpet, but the Harrelson.... the Harrelson... Arturo Sandoval just bought his second one. 'nuf said.

6. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    What Dr. Mark says is the complete truth. I love my Committee for my quintet work for the very reasons Dr Mark notes above. That "give" put a wallop of passion into a solo performance. Its like sculpting pottery from clay. It has earthy textures that bend, ooze, and flow. When I use this horn for the quintet performance, I truly want to paint jazz. In that venue, I am featured as an artist, and the Martin Committee gives me the most range to move as an artist. Period.

7. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
  8. Ed Lee

Ed Lee Utimate User

Aug 16, 2009
    Jackson NC
    Because another has a particular instrument and can play it very well, doesn't sell it to me. In the summer of 1952 I bought a new Martin, but whether it was a Committee I don't now know. It was indeed much easier to play than my pre-owned $35.00 stencil I acquired when I was 11 yo. I've earlier told the story of how both went bye bye and initiated my comeback(s) to whatever instrument I could acquire. Not to denigrate other instruments, I now have come to the conclusion that the better player could enjoy the sound he/she "makes do" with any instrument. This said, I'm not saying I'm a better player than others, but I am adamant about the enjoyment I get from making do with whatever I have and believe no other can exceed my enjoyment of the music I play, and at times it has not been easy or comfortable for me to do so. Still, I persevere and am involved in music to whatever extent is viable to me.

9. Dr.Mark

Dr.Mark Mezzo Forte User

Apr 5, 2011
    Ed Lee and gmonady.
    I'm taking a real hard took at my horn right now and correct me if I'm wrong but are you two arguing over plumbing?
    Come on guys, it's plumbing!! From the over priced Monette to student Bundy one thing holds true. It's not the horn, it's the person behind it and time makes us all lead a more measured life.
    Dr.Mark

10. Ed Lee

Ed Lee Utimate User

Aug 16, 2009
    Jackson NC
    Dr. Mark, Absolutely, I have NO argument with Dr. Gary Onady and his trumpets, flugelhorns or his B3 Hammond organ etc. Likewise, with other TMers who have better or more instruments than I have. My point is that all the hype of a more expensive instrument or other possession, doesn't arouse me to purchase likewise. As you know my personal music and health history, this is one factor I consider ... would I achieve or receive the value of whatever I buy in my remaining life. Call that a form of depression medically if you must, by I call it reality. What you've said, which I retain, is what I mean.