trumpet playing and weed

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Jamesd1196, Oct 19, 2013.

1. Dr.Mark

Dr.Mark Mezzo Forte User

Apr 5, 2011
    Hi Ed,
    You stated:
    "My point is that all the hype of a more expensive instrument or other possession, doesn't arouse me to purchase likewise".
    --------
    Me either. I think me, you and The G-Man are on the same page. We play what we like and we like what we play.
    Dr.Mark

2. Dale Proctor

Dale Proctor Utimate User

Jul 20, 2006
    Heart of Dixie
    I like instruments that play well for me. I don't care what brand or model they are as long as they are easy to play, and play in tune with the tone I want. I don't like to fight an instrument, though, and that's where I draw the line. When one is too much work to play the way I want to play it, it goes on the "for sale" block. The only exception is the Civil War era cornet I play in the reenactment band. It's about the best cornet one could hope for when talking original instruments, so I put up with it and wrestle it every time I play it.

3. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    I did not think Ed and I were arguing, but sharing experience. And as for Harrelson, it's not about plumbing, it's about physics.

4. Ed Lee

Ed Lee Utimate User

Aug 16, 2009
    Jackson NC
    Yeah, it's a study of the see-saw, but not the lever and fulcrum ... I "see" in the present and I "saw" in the past. Too. I perceive the sound wave form, not in the oscilloscope linear but in the ovalum 3rd dimension or spiraling through our brass instruments and apply the Archimedes mathematical principles and ratios vis the ultimate trumpet (or other) is yet to be designed and built. Until then I'll "make do" ... and if not in my remaining life ... alas!

5. Comeback

Comeback Forte User

Jun 22, 2011
    Fort Wayne, IN
    Gary,
    I respectfully submit that plumbing is physics applied, just like in trumpet building. Of course, there may be more universal appreciation for physics principles associated with plumbing than those associated with trumpet building. I just wanted to flush out any physics misconceptions in this discussion.
    Jim

6. Vulgano Brother

Vulgano Brother Moderator Staff Member

Mar 23, 2006
    Parts Unknown
    It all depends on what it looks like when Jason bends over to determine if he is a plumber or physicist.

7. Dr.Mark

Dr.Mark Mezzo Forte User

Apr 5, 2011
    Hi VB,
    All I know is the last time I took a physic, I was sure glad the plumbing was sound.
    Dr.Mark

8. gzent

gzent Fortissimo User

Nov 5, 2003
    Rochester, MN
    The funny thing, I think Jason said that helping his Dad do some plumbing work is how he learned how to properly solder.

9. Ed Lee

Ed Lee Utimate User

Aug 16, 2009
    Jackson NC
    For the most part, just remember the greater the flow, the bigger the pipe required in plumbing. As for soldering the plumbing pipes here in this very old house, and though I have the equipment and tools to do so, there isn't any metal pipe to solder or thread together. It has all been redone with PEC from the meter at the curb throughout the house with PCV drainage. Nope, not an iron or clay sewer pipe either. (Most localities didn't allow clay pipes for sewage, but doesn't mean they weren't).

10. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    That would be endoscopy.