trumpet playing and weed

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Jamesd1196, Oct 19, 2013.

1. bumblebee

bumblebee Fortissimo User

Jan 21, 2010
    Great Southern Land
    Does that make sense?

NVM is an acronym for Non Volatile Memory, such as used in the memory card in your camera (presuming you have a non-film camera).

--bumblebee

2. tobylou8

tobylou8 Utimate User

Dec 22, 2008
    Virginia
    It can be an acronym for anything you assign it. Nice Verbal Mendacity (your a good liar) but I have seen it used in the context of texting so responded accordingly.

3. bumblebee

bumblebee Fortissimo User

Jan 21, 2010
    Great Southern Land
    I was gently poking a little at the ways of the youth these days with their interesting takes on shorthand -- when using the IM feature at my workplace I see things like "lol" and "brb" which I always think of as "lolly" and "burble" respectively before I realise they're something else. Interestingly (or not), "brb" can mean "be right back" or "bathroom break" and be equally accurate in some cases.

As for "nvm", I understood from your post what that meant (and was not questioning you) but wonder why pick the letter "v" in there instead of just "nm", or something like "nmnd"? Must be my aging brain not keeping up with the insights around these days.

--bumblebee

4. duderubble

duderubble Piano User

Oct 21, 2011
    I know I'm really late to the game on this. But Drug education is what I do for a living. So here's the first thing I thought of with Cannabis and trumpet--in addition to the issues with smoking of course--One of the best documented negative outcomes for frequent marijuana users (not your once in awhile folks, but people smoking pretty much every day) is short term memory loss. That's the ability to remember what just happened (not what happened yesterday but a few minutes or even 30 seconds ago) so people often forget what they are doing. etc. Which could pose a problem when you are trying to play a difficult piece.

There is also a condition called a-motivational syndrome in which heavy users lose the drive to succeed and accomplish life goals (think of it as the Jeff Spicoli syndrome).

Those are the things I would worry about. Any time people are frequently relying upon a substance (any substance) to alter their mood there are potential negative effects.

5. tobylou8

tobylou8 Utimate User

Dec 22, 2008
    Virginia
    And it can all change on a dime and we "old" folks wouldn't know! If I'm in doubt, Urban Dictionary to the rescue although 98% of their references are crude in nature.

6. tobylou8

tobylou8 Utimate User

Dec 22, 2008
    Virginia
    LOM (Lack Of Motivation) is a real problem with teenagers. Know one personally that like wants to be an engineer you know what I'm sayin. It's really kinda hard though so I don't know. I do need a job (so I can keep buying weed) busing tables. Maybe one day I can be a waiter. They make more money (So I can buy more weed). There's a reason it's called dope.

7. musicalmason

musicalmason Forte User

Dec 14, 2003
    Pa
    I sure am glad this thread came back to life. Why resurrect this one?

8. gzent

gzent Fortissimo User

Nov 5, 2003
    Rochester, MN
    Marijuana use is currently a hot topic in this country.
    Talking about pros (are there any?) and cons is worthwhile.

9. tobylou8

tobylou8 Utimate User

Dec 22, 2008
    Virginia
    Maybe some pothead IDK with short term memory loss thought they should chime in because they forgot they already chimed in. There are some funny posts in here.

10. Vulgano Brother

Vulgano Brother Moderator Staff Member

Mar 23, 2006
    Parts Unknown