trumpet playing and weed

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Jamesd1196, Oct 19, 2013.

1. Brekelefuw

Brekelefuw Fortissimo User

Mar 21, 2006
    Toronto
    [​IMG]

2. gbshelbymi

gbshelbymi Mezzo Piano User

Jan 3, 2013
    Travelers Rest, SC
    I can hear it now... "Oh I was just joking around. I didn't really mean it. And that's not my stuff. I'm holding it for a friend."

3. Jamesd1196

Jamesd1196 New Friend

Sep 11, 2013

yea definitely

4. Honkie

Honkie Pianissimo User

Feb 22, 2013
    Yeah, cotton mouth, that's the secret to a great trumpet tone :shock:

5. chef8489

chef8489 Piano User

Aug 8, 2011
    Asheville nc
    Well if it was an adult asking that would be a different matter. I dont support any form of chemical to alter the mood without a physician saying you need it. That goes for caffeine also. Mother in law is addicted to caffeine.

6. Dale Proctor

Dale Proctor Utimate User

Jul 20, 2006
    Heart of Dixie
    Weed (and other drugs) and electronic gizmos will be the downfall of society. I know I'm contributing by wasting time on the internet right now, but I do have a life away from having my face stuck in a screen of some sort 24/7. Yeah, I'm over the hill...

7. kehaulani

kehaulani Fortissimo User

May 14, 2011
    Hawaian homey
    I'm sorry, but I just don't think everything in this thread is accurate. Statistics seem to show that many, if not most, druggies started with Mary Jane (MJ). However, the reverse logic simply flies in the face of reality, e.g. that if you are a druggie, MJ caused it. If that were true, a huge portion of the US would, by now, be crack heads - and they are not. Furthermore, a reportedly large number of people use MJ regularly and live ordinary and productive lives.

Ref.rugs and/or alcohol negatively affecting playing, that's individual and also related to volume of intake. There are those who are simply not capable of relaxing or concentrating on an, say, improvised solo, without something to take the edge off of their psychological makeup and allow the creative juices to flow freely.

I do agree that:
    - posting openly on an internet forum is stupid. Amazingly, it's a sign of the times where kids actually commit crimes and misdemeanors and not only record themselves on cell phones but are stupid enough to send them to one another or post them on Facebook; just absolutely no sense of accountability, whatsoever.

- drugs or alcohol on the undeveloped brain is harmful.

(Disclaimer: I was never a part of the drug culture and I do not smoke MJ.)

8. redintheface

redintheface Pianissimo User

Nov 8, 2010
    Bath, UK
    Difficult thread to comment on, some great responses both ways.

In my (non-professional) opinion, MJ is not as harmful as either tobacco or alcohol of any kind. The secondary drugs advisor for the UK government, Dr. Les King, resigned after Professor David Nutt was sacked for reviewing the scientific evidence for ecstasy and MJ and concluding that they were not Class A drugs, but should be reclassified as Class B.

Personally I have never tried anything other than alcohol, but I am led to believe that the effects of alcohol, caffeine and drugs such as MJ are different according to different people's tolerances. The most obvious example of this is that Japanese and Aboriginal Australians do not have the right enzymes to fully break down alcohol, and thus "half a shandy" puts them under the table. Another example is that Middle Eastern countries use MJ widely, and alcohol is banned.

Unfortunately, the authorities in the Western world do not yet see it this way and take a hard line view about these matters.

I also understand from a Professor of Medicine in Melbourne that the human brain's region that evaluates risk does not fully mature until our late 20s, and that alcohol consumption stunts its growth permanently.

Posting anything to anyone, even by phone is bound to lead to trouble.

9. barliman2001

barliman2001 Fortissimo User

Jul 5, 2010
    Vienna, Austria, Europe
    Interesting opinion - but did he really play in his later years, or just blare out a few notes and then sing?

10. afp

afp Pianissimo User

Oct 9, 2013
    Roseburg, OR
    If a person thinks they need to have drugs or alcohol for them to play their best, then they are in severe need of psychiatric help. Unfortunately, the music industry is filled with such people and it seems to be a major failing of the creative mind. Look how many great musicians we have lost to substance abuse. I wonder how much greater they would have been if they has stayed sober?

Creativity needs to be balanced with discipline. Often, the most creative minds are the least disciplined so I get it that it is very easy for talented musicians to fall into substance abuse. However, there is NOTHING worthwhile with recreational drug use or alcohol abuse. Both are huge indicators of a severely weakened ability to cope and such issues need to be recognized for what they are and help sought. These behaviors should not be excused or coddled. None of us are without fault, but people die and ruin lives with substance abuse and it should not be tolerated.