trumpet playing and weed

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Jamesd1196, Oct 19, 2013.

1. Ed Lee

Ed Lee Utimate User

Aug 16, 2009
    Jackson NC
    Few today know of the Volstead Act or Prohibition of Alcohol beyond what has appeared in cinema (where for effect was often exaggerated) but the Feds tried annihilation and that didn't work. Too, we've tried paraquat spray on marijuana and cocaine contained vegetation and that has not been effective and subsequently EPA and others have found that smoking such removes the extreme toxicity of paraquat. Presently we are attempting to ban importation of controlled substances but still the majority has not been interdicted by LEO simply because there isn't the budget or manpower to screen all imports ... think of the time it would take to open every package in a Conec shipping container and then repack it for land transport. Really, the sniffer dogs are doing a fantastic job ... you've seen them even in airports ... but they too must be maintained at very high cost and with each is the man/woman officer, but they too go days and weeks without indication of a controlled substance indication, but they did stop me until it was determined that my drugs were medically prescribed. Still, such deterrence is extremely costly and effective IMO less than 1% effective.

At first brush what Dale suggests seems viable. However, to accomplish this we'd need to establish controlled growth by companies that would compete with the untaxed unlawful sources and offer the product at a lower cost to consumers. I might add then to make it unlawful to administer medical treatment for an overdose unless the payment for same is up-front. As stated prior, lock them up or bury them. Now tell me when health insurance companies will provide coverage for a known user of un-prescribed controlled substances or a Federal law requires them to do so. You'll see my name on a gravestone at the end of the street I now live on before that ever happens. FYI the established cemetery and our family plots located in it are at the end of our street. Our names are redacted in case law to, protect our identity.

Certainly 90% plus time I spent on audio and visual surveillance while a NARC was unproductive, but twice I could have been dead had I not received immediate medical care, and in one instance no one was ever apprehended and prosecuted and in the other the shooter got life without parole, not because of me, but because an officer with me was murdered, my circumstance and another were just attempted murder. I never found out if he was the same shooter that killed my partner. Our names are redacted in case law to protect our identities.

2. Dale Proctor

Dale Proctor Utimate User

Jul 20, 2006
    Heart of Dixie
    I'd propose the same laws/regulations as are in effect for alcohol. I'm guessing that the price of legally grown/sold/taxed MJ would be lower than the illegal stuff, with the added incentive of no worry of jail time for using it responsibly and not having to deal with criminals to get it. On top of that, there would be tax revenue, a huge governmental savings by incarcerating fewer people, and law enforcement could concentrate on more serious crimes.

3. Honkie

Honkie Pianissimo User

Feb 22, 2013
    My personal objection to drugs (and alcohol) is that altering one's mind is, by definition, a selfish act. You get yourself high, not anyone else...taking drugs is a way of saying, "The rest of the world can go fly a kite." Selfish behavior is always boring...I'm interested in people who are interested in other people, who can participate in a good, lucid conversation.

4. Hornhead

Hornhead Pianissimo User

Jun 6, 2008
    Washington
    It's legal here! No worries!

5. kehaulani

kehaulani Fortissimo User

May 14, 2011
    Hawaian homey
    What? So wouldn't that same categorization apply to meditation, which I would suggest, is a healthy practice? Detachment from the stresses of the world is not copping out, it's another way of coping. And I don't know too many regular meditators who basically think "screw you" to the rest of us. You don't always have to be reacting to external forces 24/7.

6. Churchman

Churchman Mezzo Piano User

Apr 26, 2012
    I worked for several years in Mental Health services. The patients were always going on about how cannabis did them no harm. Go figure! (as you Americans say!)

7. Cornyandy

Cornyandy Fortissimo User

Jan 9, 2010
    East Yorkshire
    Bottom line for me, in the UK at least it's illeagle so in my opinion no way. People ignoring the law in this country is so endemic that something has to change. Speeding, illeagle parking, benfit fraud and drug use are all becoming a norm and it is people ignoring the law not even choosing to break it in many cases. I believe that this is the thin end of the wedge towards anarchy.

8. Brekelefuw

Brekelefuw Fortissimo User

Mar 21, 2006
    Toronto
    The rule is puff, puff, pass.

9. jtpowell

jtpowell Pianissimo User

Mar 15, 2011
    Cincinnati
  10. musicalmason

musicalmason Forte User

Dec 14, 2003
    Pa

Videos like this are very important, and are a great reference to the past. Let's hope that serious drug use like he describes becomes a thing of the past. That said, he is talking about heroin, which is very, very different than anything mentioned in this thread. Getting involved in heroin, may very well lead to a swat team showing up at your door and shooting your dog....it is a different world.