Trumpet playing dangerous to your health?

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by allan birmantas, Aug 31, 2013.

1. allan birmantas

allan birmantas Pianissimo User

Aug 24, 2013
    kewanee.il
    I found this site while looking for anyone who had a similar experience. After playing, even a short time and just middle register stuff, I get a very uncomfortable feeling in my chest. Not pain, just a weird feeling. Has anyone here experienced anything comparable.:-? BTW I am 77 years old, it might be related to my problem. Thank you for any information I might get. Allan Birmantas

2. musicalmason

musicalmason Forte User

Dec 14, 2003
    Pa
    Doesn't sound normal to me...you may want to consult with your doctor.

3. SteveRicks

SteveRicks Fortissimo User

Aug 15, 2009
    Alabama
    Gmondy and a few others are medical doctors and hopefully will chime in. Of course, realize to be on the safe side, most advice will likely be to check with your doctor. If you can describe the feeling better,MIT might help those commenting. Do you feel like your heart is beating differently or out of rhythm, or your lungs feeling full, or is it more muscular?

4. Cristina G

Cristina G New Friend

Jul 9, 2012
    Dallas, TX
    Please see a doctor right away! Some trumpets are more efficient than others and require less effort to play, however.

5. allan birmantas

Aug 24, 2013
    kewanee.il
    Just uncomfortable, no change in heart rhythm. I will bring it up my next check up, but I already sold my horn as it just wasn't worth the feeling to play along with a CD.

6. allan birmantas

Aug 24, 2013
    kewanee.il
    I had a Blessing Student model, but even playing a few bars of notes in or below the staff brought this weird discomfort. I wonder if the Doc will ask me to play while he studies my heart. I see him twice a year routinely and since I am OK when not playing, I will just wait until my next appointment. The odd thing is that this happens after I stop playing, not during the actual blowing. I will let you guys know what the Doctor has to say, so maybe it will be of interest to somebody who has experienced something similar.

7. Phil986

Phil986 Forte User

Nov 16, 2009
    Near Portland, OR.
    The fact that it's not pain is probably a good thing. "Weird feeling" is kinda vague, can you be more specific? Does it feel like something is moving? Is it difficult to inhale or exhale fully? Does your chest feel like it's changing shape? Pressure? Resistance when breathing out? I expect your doctor is going to simply tell you that you did the right thing by quitting and won't explore the issue much, since they tend to err on the side of caution and prefer to avoid any possible problem. Unless the doc is also a musician, I doubt that he would want to bother tackling the issue, especially with only a vague idea of where to start. You may have to dig for answers if you care about playing.
    BTW, I am not a doctor, just a nurse. Trumpet MD and Gmonady are our regular residents here on the site.

8. trumpetsplus

trumpetsplus Fortissimo User

Jun 11, 2006
    South Salem, NY
    See your doctor and also a teacher. Low and middle register notes should be played with little more stress than blowing out through a drinking straw.

9. Ed Lee

Ed Lee Utimate User

Aug 16, 2009
    Jackson NC
    I too am 77 (1936 was a good vintage) , and I'll recommend emphatically that you to make immediate appointment with your doctor. I wouldn't want you to incur the major health issues that I've endured or the consequences I still cope with ... but I've resumed a daily regimen of two hours actual "lip time" practicing mostly on a sequence of 30 minutes playing and 15 minutes rest, but on some days it varies with just alternation of 20 minute phases of playing and rest, the same as I schedule for beginning students. Still, I continue to enjoy the music I play and produce.

Further, a clean and well lubricated instrument you shouldn't have to fight with regardless of its quality. Frankly, I play mostly student quality instruments also.

Otherwise, I continue on a 3 month schedule of appointments with our family doctor and a 6 month span of appointments with cardiologist and separately a pulmonologist and am diagnosed with Type 2 Diabetes, COPD, and PAD with claudication in my legs, the latter as now restrict my ambulation although I'm still able to drive.

Concluding, an abdominal aortic aneurism, a left femoral aneurism, and a triple heart by-pass have not been enjoyable and the only pre-opt symptom I recall is extreme fatigue not pain.

10. allan birmantas

Aug 24, 2013
    kewanee.il
    "something moving" That might be somewhat similar, but since it's been some time since the last time I blew into a horn, it's not as clear in my mind as it could be. BTW there is no difficulty of breathing in or breathing out. Thank you for taking interest. While I am 77, I am not inactive. I also don't have this when I exercise. Maybe I should mention that I do have a Hiatal Hernia, do you think that might come into play?