Trumpet playing dangerous to your health?

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by allan birmantas, Aug 31, 2013.

1. DaveH

DaveH Piano User

Nov 27, 2003
    Trumpet playing isn't dangerous to your health, but you may very well have some kind of undiscovered medical condition which should be investigated. Anyone can play the trumpet, at any age; assuming normal health and physical fitness.

Cause and effect at work here, in my opinion...trumpet playing isn't dangerous, but a medical condition might be, and perhaps it is a medical condition, rather than the trumpet, that needs to be investigated.

2. Sethoflagos

Sethoflagos Utimate User

Aug 7, 2013
    Lagos, Nigeria
    If part of your stomach is sliding in and out of the gap in your diaphragm when you play, I guess it might feel a bit peculiar. Seeing a doctor sounds like a good idea.

3. Ed Lee

Ed Lee Utimate User

Aug 16, 2009
    Jackson NC
    I am not a doctor, but in my opinion (for what little it is worth) such is a possibility of the displacement you feel. At the incidence, do you have a sense of queasiness similar to an upset stomach?

4. allan birmantas

allan birmantas Pianissimo User

Aug 24, 2013
    kewanee.il
    I have had this condition for over 20 years now, but the discomfort started only some months ago. It was discovered with a barium test. Of course back then I was not playing at all.

5. allan birmantas

Aug 24, 2013
    kewanee.il
    Slightly...maybe...hard to remember, LOL

6. kingtrumpet

kingtrumpet Utimate User

Sep 20, 2009
    New York State USA
    I find the trumpet always offers a little discomfort to me when I play -- -but then again, I don't think it is a natural function to put a piece of metal on my lips, try to force(blow) air through a tiny aperture in my lips, move my fingers, get the correct amount of air through the trumpet ----- and still be able to breathe, and to remain conscious ------------------ If you don't pass out, I figure you got half of the playing of a trumpet correct ------------------------ now, if you are concerned about the WEIRD feeling, go to a doctor ----------------------Dude, you may be 77, but getting medical information over the internet, is really NOT A GOOD THING to do, MAN, I am surprised you lived this long!!! ((and truthfully, would you accept my diagnosis, if I could come up with one?????)) ROFL ROFL ROFL

7. allan birmantas

Aug 24, 2013
    kewanee.il
    No offense taken. I totally get your point, and I was not really looking for medical advice. I was asking if anyone who played a trumpet ever had the same experience. I should mention that despite my age, I still ride roller coasters every summer, and have no comparable issues with my chest. They are pretty stressful, probably more so than playing a few notes between low G and C in the staff. I will discuss this with my Doctor, and will share his findings/advice when this happens. Maybe it will relieve somebody else's anxiety or get them to see their doctor. If I disappear from this site, then you know that I have joined that hot band below. I have been too naughty to be in Gabriel's band.

8. Dupac

Dupac Fortissimo User

Aug 19, 2008
    Bordeaux, France.
    No trumpet player "below". Gabriel needs everybody:
    Corinthians 15-51
    I guess Gabriel's big band uses to play some jazz hot...

9. Cornyandy

Cornyandy Fortissimo User

Jan 9, 2010
    East Yorkshire
    What about Cornetists that dabble with the other one.

10. Dupac

Dupac Fortissimo User

Aug 19, 2008
    Bordeaux, France.
    Nope, the other one is so annoying : violas , still violas, always violas...