Trumpet Playing Gigs In Rural Areas

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by TugValleyTrumpeter, Dec 14, 2015.

1. TugValleyTrumpeter

TugValleyTrumpeter New Friend

Dec 8, 2015
    WV
    Greetings, I'm new to the forum and I am curious what others in my situation do for gigs. I live in rural West Virginia and there are very limited opportunities to play. I play with a local community band, a small combo group made up of local music teachers, and I'm working on getting involved with a brass quintet. Anyone out there have any innovative groups that incorporate the trumpet with local styles of music?

2. akinsgre

akinsgre Pianissimo User

Nov 16, 2012
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Seems like trumpet is being incorporated a fair amount into Americana music (with it's new-grass background, that might be more popular in WV).

Checkout Qiet Qiet . They use a single trumpet player. I don't know exactly where they're from, but they have a 304 area code (I heard them at Cheat Festival in Prescott County, WV).

3. trickg

trickg Utimate User

Oct 26, 2003
    Baltimore/DC
    Church, but you may not make a lot of money doing it. I grew up in rural SW Nebraska, so church was my main outlet for performing, and I was lucky enough to have a church with a fairly nice pipe organ, along with a superb classical organist (who was also my K-6 music teacher) who ran the music ministry there. I got paid for a couple of weddings while I was still in HS, but otherwise pretty much everything I played was pro bono.

4. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    You know, it may require an initial investment, but try becoming a member of your local American Federation of Musicians Union. I did and get enough yearly gigs to more than offset the dues investment. And even though I am a jazz musician more often the gigs I get through my local are brass ensembles and with classical brass choirs. Being a member has not only provided me more venues but kept me honest by maintaining my classical brass roots.

5. kehaulani

kehaulani Fortissimo User

May 14, 2011
    Hawaian homey
    Joining the AFM can also keep you out of gigs, so before doing that, I'd ask around and see what might best fit your locale. I've worked in states which are not union-friendly and consequently will not hire (officially) union musicians because venues can't (or won't) meet union standards and fees.

6. Ed Lee

Ed Lee Utimate User

Aug 16, 2009
    Jackson NC
    IMO WV has a long history of unionization, mostly in coal mining and some industries. Personally, I believe unions have pros and cons. If there is a WV resource for AFM, I have not heard of it. Likewise, here in NC.

7. kehaulani

kehaulani Fortissimo User

May 14, 2011
    Hawaian homey
    I think the coal miner situation is a bit different. Nevertheless, you make the case that it's probably best to ask around before making a decision.

8. akinsgre

akinsgre Pianissimo User

Nov 16, 2012
    Pittsburgh, PA
  9. edfitzvb

edfitzvb Forte User

Jun 10, 2008
    Woodlawn, VA
    I was once a member of the Union. I live in Virginia, which is a right-to-work state, so I allowed my membership to lapse. I am considering re-joining as it may increase my playing opportunities. As I recall, West Virginia is highly Unionized, so I WOULD recommend joining the Union if you live there. That's my OPINION, and I am charging you what that's worth.

10. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    What? Do the drink a lot of distilled water?