Trumpet Playing Gigs In Rural Areas

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by TugValleyTrumpeter, Dec 14, 2015.

1. Ed Lee

Ed Lee Utimate User

Aug 16, 2009
    Jackson NC
    Now I know why I haven't heard of AFM in either WV or NC. They are 100 miles or more from where I am active. Then too, in neither locale where I am is BRASS a mainstay of music.

My overview is that if one is NOT wholly seeking their entire living in music, participating in a musical union / organization is mostly supporting those who are.

Personally, the circumstances of my life have passed when I was able, but truly I never aspired to earn a living doing such ... I just enjoy playing my brass instruments as much as I can for the short time that I'll still be able to.

2. TugValleyTrumpeter

TugValleyTrumpeter New Friend

Dec 8, 2015
    WV
    I don't think the AFM is very strong in WV. I don't know of any brass players that are in the union. I do many unpaid gigs, which is fine. It would be nice to get some compensation for my time, but at the end of the day I love to play my horn either way. Teaching is my main gig and the pay isn't great but it allows me the freedom to take unpaid gigs when time allows. I may look into finding a local rock group to back up in addition to the other groups I am playing with.