Trumpet Playing Good (or Bad) For Lungs?

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by bamajazzlady, Jan 16, 2013.

1. bamajazzlady

bamajazzlady Mezzo Forte User

May 16, 2011
    Anyone know the positive and/or negative effects of trumpet playing on lungs?

2. acarcido

acarcido Forte User

Dec 28, 2009
    Ontario, Ca
    To my knowledge, I have not heard of playing trumpet being the cause of any lung or health related issues. A person can have allergies to brass, silver and some of the materials that make up the trumpet. I believe Trent has some type of allergy with the silver on the mouthpiece and he uses alternate metals to compensate for that. On the positive note: Playing trumpet is constant exercise for your lungs. If you swim and play horn, you should notice that you can hold your breath much longer than the average person. In my high scool days I was able to hold my breath for nearly 3 minutes under water.

Anyways, I'm no expert to answer your question properly. I am just donating my experience with how playing trumpet has affeected my lungs.

3. rockwell

rockwell Pianissimo User

Dec 6, 2011
    For what's worth a nurse told me it was a form of respiratory therapy because of the resistance - causes a stirring of the gases in the lungs.

4. Ed Lee

Ed Lee Utimate User

Aug 16, 2009
    Jackson NC
    I am under the care of a pulmonologist (lung Doc) and have COPD (my fault), a cardiologist and have vascular and heart iissues and both have said told me to continue as long as possible and to let them know when I can't. I wasn't a smart aleck to tell them my heirs would have to tell them that with all they've done to keep me alive.

5. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    Take it from a doctor... Me... It's all good. Trumpet playing increases PEEP, Positive End Expiratory Pressure. This keeps distail airways open for better oxygenation, and less mucous accumulation that can harbor bacteria. I use the same principle in my Cystic Fibrosis patients twice daily with aerosol treatments to do essentially the same thing. Should get them to all play the trumpet, but soon I would be out of a job.

6. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    Now with that said... If you don't clean the dammed thing, you are at risk of getting hypersensitivity pneumonitis from all the critters growing in the pipes.

7. bigtiny

bigtiny Mezzo Forte User

Aug 14, 2005
    Ever get bronchitis or other respiritory ailments, heart disease?

If you do, one of the likely therapies you'll be introduced to will be some sort of device (I've seen different versions of these things), that
    basically make you exhale into some sort of tube and keep some level of pressure up (remember the breathing test sequence in 'The Right Stuff'?).

Trumpet playing is almost exactly the same thing from a breathing standpoint.....

It's good.....it's all good......

bigtiny

8. DaTrump

DaTrump Forte User

Oct 21, 2011
    Huntsville, Texas
    I was told by my doctor as well. I was born almost a month early and my lungs were, and still are, underdeveloped, on top of that both my parents smoke but after I started to play trumpet, they are almost to a normal capacity.

9. TrumpetMD

TrumpetMD Fortissimo User

Oct 22, 2008
    Maryland
    Hi Gary,

Always good to hear from my PEEPs. :-)

Playing the trumpet is also a physical activity. So it's benefits go beyond your lungs.

Based on metabolic demands (or METs), playing the trumpet is equivalent to other light-to-moderate physical activities, such as walking or bicycle riding.

Going back to your lungs, playing the trumpet can help with "lung capacity". It strengthens the muscles you use to breath, increasing your ability to move air more efficiently.

Mike

10. Dupac

Dupac Fortissimo User

Aug 19, 2008
    Bordeaux, France.
    That's why my doctor told me that playing the trumpet is great for me (I'm 69) :thumbsup::play: