Trumpet Playing Good (or Bad) For Lungs?

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by bamajazzlady, Jan 16, 2013.

1. bamajazzlady

bamajazzlady Mezzo Forte User

May 16, 2011
    Personally never had bronchitis and/or other respiratory ailments, the device you are thinking of is an incentive spirometer. Thanks all, for the insight as I wanted to know primarily the good that can come from playing trumpet.

2. edfitzvb

edfitzvb Forte User

Jun 10, 2008
    Woodlawn, VA
    I had double bypass surgery ten years ago. It was a proactive surgery due to results in my annual physical, so there were no preceding incidents. Before the operation, there is an instrument to measure lung capacity by inhaling and raising a ball in the apparatus. My doctor complimented me on my prowess. I told him that it was probably due to the fact that I played trumpet and sang for a living. A week after my bypass surgery (ribs spread, open heart stuff) I was in a recording studio playing F's. It hurt a little bit to inhale, but the exhaling through the horn was good therapy. My recovery was fast, and I credit trumpet playing with that.
    Anecdotal and not scientific, but no charge for the info

3. Phil986

Phil986 Forte User

Nov 16, 2009
    Near Portland, OR.
    Pretty music, good for the soul and spirit and when these go well, everything else does. Even if it doesn't, you still feel good anyway...

4. Dupac

Dupac Fortissimo User

Aug 19, 2008
    Bordeaux, France.
    Listen to Albert Ayler :
    "Music is the Healing Force of the Universe".
    And trumpet playing is on the doctor's prescription.
    Mikel

5. Lionelsax

Lionelsax Mezzo Piano User

May 8, 2013
    If you think playing music is bad for your health it means you have a mental disease, so start playing and you'll feel better.

6. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    ....or else a penny for your thoughts will be so economical compared to the fee I charge to sustain from all the behavioral cases I treat.

7. cfkid

cfkid Pianissimo User

Jul 24, 2013
    Speaking as some with Cystic Fibrosis, I couldn't agree more. I've played for about 10 of my 42 years and can tell you I wouldn't be in this good of shape with playing. Basically my pulmonary function scores haven't decreased over the last 15 years. Almost unheard of for a 42 year old with CF. Playing will certainly help keep what you have working well.

I just wish I hadn't taken 20 years off. My skills would be so much better.

Mark

8. amzi

amzi Forte User

Feb 18, 2010
    Northern California
    I truly believe it is the only reason my COPD isn't any worse than it is.

9. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    Mark, CONGRATULATIONS. I agree that the trumpet (or any brass instrument) has got to be therapeutic for CF. I direct the Adult CF Center in Dayton Ohio and serve on the CF Therapeutics and Development Committee for the CF Foundation and truly appreciate the airway technique materials we review. Perhaps a study of FEV1 in CF trumpet players may be in order.

10. cfkid

cfkid Pianissimo User

Jul 24, 2013
    I'm only an hour away, in Northern Kentucky. I knew you were a doc, didn't know you were a CF doc. Sounds like a good idea for a study, I know one other CF'er that plays and he's doing well also. I don't know if he still plays, but I helped him in HS a long time ago. Let me know when the study is up and running, I'll do it after Vertex.

Mark