Trumpet Playing Good (or Bad) For Lungs?

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by bamajazzlady, Jan 16, 2013.

1. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    Mark, true enough. Kalydeco is a real miracle drug and the combination study with the Delta 508 will likely change CF into a completely "curable" disease. However, keeping the airways open for EVERYONE with or without pulmonary disease I believe will maintain pulmonary function in all of us. And I agree, trumpet is a great airway clearance technique for COPD as well.

Mark, I will let you know the next time my quintet is in Cincinnati or N. Ky. We were playing at the Thompson House regularly earlier in the year, but the jazz venue closed there. Would love to hear your stories of your trumpet playing, and would LOVE to have you sit in with the band. What a true honor that would be for me.

If you ever go through the CF Clinic in Cincy, give Patricia Joseph a fond hello for me. She is such a gifted pulmonologist and a jazz fan as well. She came out to her our quintet when we were playing at The Redmore.

2. TrumpetMD

TrumpetMD Fortissimo User

Oct 22, 2008
    Maryland
    Yes, there are a number of breathing devices, which can be used to measure lung function or exercise the lungs. But to clarify, the 2 devices in this thread are different.

In "The Right Stuff", they had to exhale into a tube to keep the ball up. I suppose in the movie, they were testing lung capacity or aerobic conditioning.

An "incentive spirometer" is the opposite ... you inhale. The goal of this device is to pop open unrecruited alveoli in the lungs.

Mike

3. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    Yep... this is true. In Incentive Spirometer is used in inhaling. The acapella device we use in CF works on both inhalation and exhaling. Still think the trumpet is better, but I am biased.

4. Ed Lee

Ed Lee Utimate User

Aug 16, 2009
    Jackson NC
    With COPD, I've become hyper active on cleaning my instruments. Such now includes a flush with 91% isopropryl alcohol (perhaps I should purchase it by the case). All I can say is the bath water is so disgusting that it is appropriate to be disposed of in the sewer. Still, presently with oak leaves shedding and cotton being harvested my only defense as I go about is a filter mask.

5. terrytuner

terrytuner Pianissimo User

Sep 23, 2010
    Tennessee
    Have played trumpet and F horn for very near 60 years. Smoked for 30 of those years. Still have good enough lung function to prompt my doctor to positively comment at periodic examinations. I couple playing with 2 miles a day doing a brisk walk.

6. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    And the view in Tennessee is fabulous this year. Just returned from staying a week in Sevierville and the walks were some of the most beautiful vistas I had ever seen.

7. bigbullets

bigbullets New Friend

May 14, 2008
    Bangor, ME
    Just had an operation Two weeks ago the hospital gives you a spirometer to keep your lungs expansion at a good level to spur off pneumonia. Playing the trumpet does basically the same thing

8. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    I agree, but as I have noted above, I am biased.

Just finished teaching two weeks of courses involving renal and pulmonary physiology/pharmacology/pathology to our second year medical students. Ended my last session on pulmonary function mechanics by placing the answers on the white board in front of 110 students:

A. Normal
    B. Respiratory Acidosis
    C. Respiratory Alkalosis
    D. Just full of hot air

Then I announced to the class to choose the correct diagnosis after the completion of this note - at which point I pulled out my pocket trumpet (the element of surprise) and held out a note for two minutes (circular breathing of course).

The classes answer - D. Full of Hot Air. This of course was the correct answer.

9. GeorgeB

GeorgeB Mezzo Forte User

Apr 13, 2016
    New Glasgow, N.S. Canada
    In a couple of months I'll be 81 and I consider myself fortunate that I have good health. When I played trumpet in the 50s and 60s I smoked so I'm pretty sure the trumpet was helping my lungs any ( or was it ? ). I gave up smoking when I was 50. I was always active, but more so after I quit smoking. I did a lot of running until the knees started giving me trouble. So I turned to walking and continue to do so up to this day. My lungs are in good shape so things were easy for me when I took up the trumpet again last year. Now hearing what Mike just said, with my walking and my playing, why I just may be doing this when I turn 100...:D

10. Solar Bell

Solar Bell Moderator Staff Member

May 11, 2005
    Metro Detroit
    I have asthma, seriously enough to have been close to death a couple times.

My pulmonary doctor many years ago was thrilled to find out that I played trumpet.

I was told, and have been told that playing the trumpet was VERY good therapy for my lungs.

Just my two cents worth.