Trumpet playing in the morning

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by ollieselectricalcomponent, Apr 28, 2010.

1. Pedal C

Pedal C Mezzo Forte User

Jan 24, 2005
    Try to avoid soap that dries or tightens the skin, especially around your mouth. I know my skin can feel tight after a shower because of the soap, and the trumpet is uncomfortable.

For morning playing, start slow. I'd suggest something like Stamp 3 (although I would stop at low F# and not play pedals when your chops feel bad). Play for a couple minutes and put it down. Come back a little later, and do more of whatever your normal routing is. The worst thing when you feel bad is to keep playing and playing and playing trying to warm up. Play a little, put it down (even if you still sound bad!) and come back a little latter. Eventually you'll adjust and you won't have to ease in like that.

Other things that help me are, avoiding salty foods, being physically active before I play, and doing something to attempt to start my brain too. I used to play Tetris for a few minutes and then walk around the music building for a little while. It seemed to help engage the mind and body. Good Luck!

2. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    I am not convinced that it is always a matter of habit. I have sleep apnea and that DOES change my ability to do all sorts of things in the morning if I forget my APAP and mask. Slightly low blood pressure can also cause issues.

In your case, I think that there is actually something other than your mind because you say it takes to mid day to get going. It could be something as simple as a too big breakfast.

I guess playing detective could start like this:
    take a digital picture of your face when playing is easy and in the morning where "nothing" works. Compare them. Thicker lips, hanging cheeks, swollen eyes? Are you allergic to something? Your body could need a couple of hours to desensitize after leaving the house. Sleep at a friends house and try to play in the morning.

Try a COLD shower in the morning.

If your bed is positioned north south, try east west

Of course we can't rule out the mind. It is just my experience that after an hour or two, we have resigned ourselves to the fact that we can't go back to bed and then we "get on with it". I would consider 4-5 hours for the body to acclimate as a bit extreme.

Try some of the stuff, I would check the mild allergy route first. That can cause slight swelling and irritation and would explain why after 4 -5 hours things work again.

3. oldenick

oldenick Pianissimo User

Apr 10, 2007
    CT

4. Harry Richardson

Harry Richardson New Friend

Jan 17, 2010
    Warming down at the end of the day will help a lot. Also, I feel that things work better for me when I have a good warm-up three hours or so before I need to perform. The 2 1/2 hour break really helps to get my chops set for the day.

5. larry tscharner

larry tscharner Forte User

Apr 30, 2010
    dubuque iowa
    playing in the morning when the days distractions and agrivations have yet to find me is the most relaxing thing i have ever done. i hope you can get past this problem/condition and reach the zenlike state of playing when you want to, not just when you can. try doing only simple basic yet fun things to start out and slowly build from there. stay in your comfort zone and hopefully this problem will shrink away.

Last edited: May 5, 2010
  6. cornetboy97

cornetboy97 New Friend

Jun 30, 2013
    From my experience this is my advice/take on it. Where do you place your mouthpiece?? is it on the side of your mouth?? well i used to play on the side and playing in the morning was terrible to say the least (didn't have a good range and playing quiet was useless) . If i did play in the morning it would effect how i played at night as I think in some way it damaged my lips. I got fed up of this and my teacher said to play slap-bang in the middle of my mouth and what can i say?? Its like a dream although I have only been playing in the middle for about 2 months I can play a pedal B up to a top g without straining, also i can play super quiet. And i can do all this pretty much as soon as i wake up!!! also i use a book called Breathe by Paul Archibald which is brilliant to get me going even better in a morning. :wave:

7. jiarby

jiarby Fortissimo User

May 7, 2011
    Arizona
    You are having a conversation with a person that has only visited this forum ONCE.... THREE YEARS AGO, and never been back since.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

8. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    Oh no - the mouthpiece again.

Cornetboy, I still play to the side and after over 40 years of professional/semiprofessional playing, have no reason to change. I often get to a gig in the morning without having played a note - warm up or warm down from the previous day. Everything still works.

So, in my opinion, one must always have tried out enough things long enough and worked with enough others with different systems to assume any type of validity. The LAST thing that promotes short term consistency is an embouchure or mouthpiece change.

9. BustedChops

BustedChops Mezzo Forte User

Oct 1, 2011
    Take a shot of bourbon to warm you up. Problem solved.

10. cornetboy97

cornetboy97 New Friend

Jun 30, 2013
    Hang about! Everyone is different and there teeth positioning is too. Your mouth is probably different to mine but as all the teaching books say, playing in the middle is the best and the 'correct' way to play a brass instrument. I don't want to make a bold statement saying everyone should play in the middle but give it a go yourself, you may find instantly you will have a better tone and more dynamic control like I did. Cheers,