Trumpet playing in the morning

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by ollieselectricalcomponent, Apr 28, 2010.

1. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    Muscle is muscle whether it is on you legs or your face. They relax (which is a good thing during a long night's sleep) for most of us... The exception: Vulgano Brother, who dreams of Jennifer Aniston all night, with his lips smacking the entire time, which gives him the edge over us mortals... but I diverge:

Like any muscle stretching (like before running), getting the memory back into the lip muscle may take a bit more warm up. Buzzing on the way to school is cool. Another thing that I really like is... yep... long tones. The morning was made for long tones. This is how we start my Middle School band out at 7:50 on Tuesday and Thursday mornings, then after a few exercises, progress to slurs, then to scale studies with tonging drills added. After this, you're good to go for the day.

2. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    Especially for those that receive royalties for writing these teaching books!

3. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    You just gave the BEST reasoning here as to why many of our embouchures here on TM are so different and just as functional as those that have a straight on embouchure, it's all about physiology and function...

Don't read so many books...
    Man I hope Chris Botti doesn't pick up one of these books!

4. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    At may age... it's all relative.

5. cornetboy97

cornetboy97 New Friend

Jun 30, 2013
    But it still amazes how some people can play really early in the morning with no problems at all, there must be a 'scientific' explanation about this matter somewhere... but as Iv said before switching to playing in the middle (I started doing this about 2 months ago) has made a massive difference as I can get going in a morning very quickly, the only problem is my muscles haven't fully switched so my range isnt as good but that will come in time :D :wave:

6. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    No scientific explanation... more like psychological explanation... The science says muscle is muscle any time of the day.

7. amzi

amzi Forte User

Feb 18, 2010
    Northern California
    Decades ago, in high school we got to school and started warming around 7:30am--rehearsal began promptly at 8am. That's when our director stepped onto the podium and you had better be ready to pull music and play. Never thought about it being a problem--band class was 1st hour and actually began an hour early so we could do 2 hours of rehearsal a day. Today I don't do much early morning playing but I've usually done some practice before 10am. I'm one of those guys who takes a long time to actually wake up--set alarm for 7 to be able to leave the house by 9 and I still barely make it--and playing in the morning actually helps me get all the juices flowing. So, is there a physical component involved in having difficulty playing in the morning? Maybe. But, my lay opinion is that it's more psychological than physical. Hey Doctor G--maybe you could describe a psycho-somatic inability to play in the morning--call it the Monady Syndrome and travel the world giving lectures when you're not playing with Eddie and the boys.

8. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    A good lay is ALWAYS psychological in my opinion. So you're good!

Love this idea... any interest in being the booking agent for the lecture tour? I'll pay you the same fee I pay BigDub for being my editor!

9. Ed Lee

Ed Lee Utimate User

Aug 16, 2009
    Jackson NC
    Don't know what your problem is? I'm on my break before beginning my 2nd hour of "lip time" this morning. Nothing unusual about that except that on most mornings my wife is still asleep and I must use my YSB.

10. tobylou8

tobylou8 Utimate User

Dec 22, 2008
    Virginia
    Does that make him a "One post Wonder"?? :cool: