Trumpet Playing May Be Dangerous to Your Health.

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Majestic1, Dec 12, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Majestic1

Majestic1 New Friend

Dec 12, 2007
    First of all I want to apologize for using Antonio Maria Valsalva’s name, may he rest in peace, in the context that I mentioned. I was trying to get a point across as to how much the trumpet means to be so as not to “sound like an invasion from a battered violists forum.†:-)

Jeanne, is fainting not also a “blackout� I was talking about fainting which can be caused from VM. At least this is what my lung doctor has told me. VM comes from bearing DOWN but also from bearing UP with the abdominal muscles to a structure that prevents full passage of air under pressure and trumpet players have high pressure in their lungs. Using a manometer to measure VM can attest to this. In fact, if a manometer could be attached to a trumpet mpc, it would show that every trumpet player creates VM at some level or another. Many of you have just learned to live with it to whatever degree you may have. Presently, to me VM is a poison to my system. Also, I know what closing the throat means being also a singer and from studying singing in a music conservatory. This using the throat does not apply to me but may apply to others in trying “to control the air, rather than keeping the airflow free until it hits the lips.†I have trumpets and mpcs of all sizes and in terms of OVERBLOWING, this could very well be the case. What I was doing years ago to that volume, I can not do today. Some people are made stronger to play the trumpet and others are not. You should feel fortunate that you were made to be a strong trumpet player and I hope that you continue for many years to come.

Thank you for your invitation and I hope that someone here will who was afraid to post and to mention that they play with the conditions (problems) that you mentioned will take your offer to get your help. You are a true asset to the trumpet profession.

2. francolinni

francolinni New Friend

Dec 14, 2007
    Philly
    Where in the hell did we get this guy? Been playin 40 years plus, 2 heart attacks, 4 stents, 2 knee operations, broken ribs,arm , ankle, back surgery & arthritis everywhere. Ain't none of it come from trumpet! Never got dizzy playin,except when I drink more than I play. Matter of fact, playin trump is probably the safest thing I do!!! Screwing somebody's old lady, now that's hazardous to your health, especially if he's a young dude,they never blame their wife! Give me a break, learn to breathe. Franco

Schwab likes this.
  3. francolinni

francolinni New Friend

Dec 14, 2007
    Philly
    Hey there Schwab: How is that stage 1? Also anybody out there get to play the NY trumpet Magnum Bb? Carefull, don't get dizzy out there? Franco

4. Eeviac

Eeviac Piano User

Well .... um .... sh!tting is bad for your health, you know, Elvis and Jim Morrison and I'm pretty sure Captain Kangaroo died while doing that....

5. Majestic1

Majestic1 New Friend

Dec 12, 2007
    I already have a heart murmur; so, I don't want to put myself in greater risk. IMO, it's too late for me.

6. Eeviac

Eeviac Piano User

Look, Majestic, it sounds like you're developing some kind of a complex.

Luckily, I am here, with the cure!

Just get rid of your car and ride a motorcycle everywhere. I mean doing your shopping and everything. Split lanes and stuff. You'll find your trumpet concerns will fade into the distance.... :-P

7. lmf

lmf Forte User

May 16, 2007
    Indiana USA
    Hi, Majestic,

I've known people who have had a clean bill if health from their doctor only to die of a heart attack soon thereafter.

Playing a horn can be a stress reliever. If "too high" playing scares you, don't play so high or as loud. Switch to a flugel or cornet and
    enjoy life more and worry less.

Most of us don't know when we will die anyway! Worrying about it won't add a day to our life.

Best wishes!

Lloyd

8. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    It is never too late and running away from everything can make things worse. Take Jeanne up on her offer, you may not be in line to play a Maynard Revival Concert, but could just end up being inspiration for somebody else thinking about giving up.

I am not a doctor but am sceptical about end of life scenarios. Hope is one of the most effective medicines around and there are miracles!.

Except for one post, you have only spread doom and gloom at TM. I can appreciate you having had a hard time, and wanting to warn others of potential danger. I think it is time for a ray of sunlight. Go see Jeanne (or at least a doctor that can give you some hope)! Certain things may not be reversable, but if Arnold Jacobs could balance the Chicago Symphony with serious impairment of the lungs due to asthma, the you should be able to ENJOY some measure of trumpet playing. Look up the story of Arnold Jacobs (his book is called Song and Wind), find the inspiration, change your hat!
    Good Luck!

Last edited: Jan 18, 2008
  9. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany

This is where the expression dumb sh!t comes from!

If sitting on the pot is not healthy, the fashion industry has some work to do!

Last edited: Jan 18, 2008
  10. et_mike

et_mike Mezzo Forte User

Oct 16, 2007
    Chesapeake, VA
    I have to say... this has got to be the most entertaining thread in the forum... you guys better be careful... the writers guild may sue you guys for continuing to write comedy while they are on strike!! ;)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.