Trumpet Playing May Be Dangerous to Your Health.

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Majestic1, Dec 12, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. westview1900

westview1900 Piano User

Nov 30, 2005
    It irks me that people don't really minimize the most likely risks to their health, but instead worry about relatively trivial risks. This information is readily available.:
    N C H S - FASTATS - Leading Causes of Death
    http://www.cdc.gov/nchs/data/dvs/LCWK9__2004.pdf

Heart disease is at the top as a risk of death in the US, followed by cancer. Here you can see what leading causes of heart disease are.:
    http://www.americanheart.org/downloadable/heart/1200082005246HS_Stats 2008.final.pdf

Doesn't it make sense to reduce the obvious and well documented risks to the heart before worrying about new possible risks?

2. Majestic1

Majestic1 New Friend

Dec 12, 2007
    I hope that every single one of you will have a healthy and happy life playing the trumpet with none of the aforementioned conditions mentioned in this thread.:-)

Schwab likes this.
  3. trptchopdoc

trptchopdoc Pianissimo User

Jan 13, 2005
    Port-au-Prince, Haiti
    Maj:

Fwiw, I have only one lung and severe asthma stemming from an accident while moonlighting as a security guard during undergraduate studies....

Yet, I still play (watch for some youtube clips from recent solo performances coming soon).

You DON'T need a lot of air to play trumpet well....overusing too full lungs can be detrimental to your health (can slow your heart beat, too: ask any yogic master!<G>).....

Breathe for the phrase you are playing ONLY! Otherwise you build up CO2 and have to let air OUT before you can breathe in again...

The offer still stands to come see me in Boston....

Best Blessings,
    Jeanne

Jude likes this.
  4. Jude

Jude Piano User

Dec 2, 2007
    So that's what going on: there's plenty of air, but no oxygen left in it. And the system's set to panic when the O2, not whatever gas happens to be in the lungs, is exhausted.

BTW, and a bit OT, I'm getting a lot out of your Trumpeting by Nature. Contrary to the instructions I first read it straight through like a novel, before starting to try different things out. Maybe if you do a second edition you could add an index? It would help those of us who can remember reading about something, but not exactly what was said.

Jude

5. Fluffy615

Fluffy615 Piano User

Nov 30, 2006
    New Jersey
    This is the thread that doesn't end. Why don't we all take the time being used to contribute to this thread and go practice some trumpet!

6. veery715

veery715 Utimate User

Mar 6, 2007
    Ithaca NY
    Good advice begins at home.

7. trptchopdoc

trptchopdoc Pianissimo User

Jan 13, 2005
    Port-au-Prince, Haiti
    Thanks for your input, Jude!

I am in the process of producing an index as well as a workbook, with fully written out CHOPCHECKtm versions for various levels of players.

Stay tuned for more info!

Best,
    Jeanne

8. brad361

brad361 Pianissimo User

Feb 12, 2008
    Well.......
    That used to happen to me a lot while playing lead in my college jazz band, and still happens occasionally. I find it's more likely to occur if I'm tense about possibly screwing up the next solo, relaxation completely fixes the problem for me.
    If it is really dangerous.......well, hell, we all die from something. Not to be flip, but the odds of being squashed like a bug in a car wreck, for example, are probably much higher.

9. carltonsstudent

carltonsstudent New Friend

May 2, 2007
    Richmond, VA
    Concerning fainting, the TRPCHPDOC has some good advice. First is to learn to play correctly, don't overblow, don't play with pinched lips, and play with an open throat. I learned to play the Maggio Way from Carlton MacBeth back in the late 50's and I only experienced fainting when I was first learning range. Since then, 50 years now, I have never experience fainting either on the job or in practice. It is not a worry at all.

I used to worry about things like losing my teeth. Carlton looked mystified when I asked him about this and he said "Why are you worried about this? Take care of your teeth and they will last you a lifetime" he said.

The best advise I can give is to learn to play the Maggio Way. Get Carlton's book from Charles Colin, read it extremely carefully knowing that small deviations from his instructions are very destructive of progress. For example, how is the Pedal-C exercise to be played and when. Study this very carefully, learn the answers to each question, incorporate it consistently into your practice and watch your problems with fainting disappear.

10. JMesh

JMesh New Friend

Mar 23, 2005
    I will agree that perhaps if people are not playing correctly, maybe this might be achieved, although I have yet to see proving documentation. However, when playing correctly, the Valsalva manouever is not employed. In fact, this impedes proper motion of the air and will most certainly reduce tone quality. When playing correctly, you should be relaxed, and in many people, your throat should feel feel as open as a yawn. The only teacher I've had thus far that has adressed this and many other detrimental tension issues in Dr. Brian Sand (currently Professor of Trumpet at Memorial University's School of Music, St. John's, NL, ). Brian is a great player and an excellent pedagogue. He has greatly improved the playing of all fifteen members of the faculty in less than a year, the amount of time he has been here. The key to good playing is relaxing, free air, and simplicity. If you work with these and practice them, you will get better and not risk medical emergencies.

Last edited: Mar 28, 2008
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.