Trumpet Playing May Be Dangerous to Your Health.

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Majestic1, Dec 12, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. flugelgirl

flugelgirl Forte User

Jan 20, 2008
    Seattle, WA
    Recently, a trumpet player in this area passed on. He went to a rehearsal, played better than ever, smiled a lot, and then went home, went to bed, and didn't wake up. He was in his late 70's. Sounds like a great way to go to me! I don't think it was the Valsava Maneuver that got him..... ;)

2. Majestic1

Majestic1 New Friend

Dec 12, 2007
    Breathe in a small plastic or paper bag for a short while to get your carbon dioxide level back to normal.

Is he still playing?

3. wiseone2

wiseone2 Artitst in Residence Staff Member

Nov 19, 2003
    Brooklyn,NY
    Leon passed away last year. He was playing loud and strong up the end.
    Wilmer

4. artiep2

artiep2 New Friend

Jan 12, 2009
    connecticut
    It's fun to make crap out of somebody who says something we don;t want to hear, but this guy is right, and there's plenty of medical stuff on the web confirming what he said and worse. If you've got high BP and play lots of upper register material it can kill you. That's a fact.

5. gbdeamer

gbdeamer Forte User

Oct 16, 2008
    You may not have noticed, but this thread is 1 1/2 years old. It was almost 20 pages worth of back and forth on both sides, so I hope you don't want to re-hash the entire thing...

6. trumpetman41

trumpetman41 Pianissimo User

Feb 17, 2009
    Omaha, NE
    I haven't laughed so much in a long time. All of the TM folks are great, as well as educational. Rave ON.

7. Phil986

Phil986 Forte User

Nov 16, 2009
    Near Portland, OR.
    Majestic, you should take your salad to some other table, nobody here will buy it. One of our contributor, going by TrumpetMD, gave a much better explanation on the dizziness. People in good health who are not dehydrated have no reason to expect serious "side effects." All who practice and happen to get out those magic sounds that move us so much generate such massive quantities of good chemicals in their brains and elsewhere that they have nothing to fear.

Quite frankly, the benefits outweigh the risks.

I hate to advertise for free, but all can hear what Doc Severinsen can play, at 82 for the Shires folks:
    S.E. Shires Custom Trumpets
    82 and kicking.

8. Phil986

Phil986 Forte User

Nov 16, 2009
    Near Portland, OR.
    artiep2, lots of stuff can kill you if you have high BP. We all have to die of something, take your pick, what would you rather have?

9. Markie

Markie Forte User

Jan 4, 2009
    Clarksburg, WV
    If living a long life means giving up the trumpet, I've only one thing to say:
    "Its better to burn out than it is to rust."

10. lmf

lmf Forte User

May 16, 2007
    Indiana USA
    artie,

BP doesn't have to be a problem if one sees the doctor on a regular basis, take prescriptions as necessary consistenly and monitor blood pressure levels. People with high blood pressure can keep in under control and not stop playing trumpet. I doubt if many doctors will tell people to stop playing trumpet because they have high blood pressure. Most doctors will tell us to find ways to lower blood pressure to correct levels and take prescribed meds if necessary.

I've been on high blood pressure meds since I was 18 years of age. I'm 62 now and still take high blood pressure meds...but my blood pressure is under control and I play trumpet, cornet, flugel and vocalize. I have glaucoma and diabetes, too. I asked my opthamologist about playing my horns with glaucoma and he said he saw nothing wrong with it. He seemed pleased that I played a musical instrument.

Best wishes,

Lloyd

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.