Trumpet Playing May Be Dangerous to Your Health.

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Majestic1, Dec 12, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Majestic1

Majestic1 New Friend

Dec 12, 2007
    Rowuk,

One more point about Valsalva Maneuver (VM) in your statement of this condition not have been documented. There are innumerable trumpet players who have had, are having and will have heart problems and most of them could be due to having his subjecting his heart for many hours, every day for many years to this very strenuous task (VM).

2. wiseone2

wiseone2 Artitst in Residence Staff Member

Nov 19, 2003
    Brooklyn,NY
    Wow!
    Does this mean no more piccolo trumpet playing after the age of 40?
    I was in my late forties when I played WSS, I could have died on TV........WOWROFL
    Bud was in his 70s when he retired, maybe a warning should be placed on the parts.
    Save our older players!
    Wilmer -a lucky trumpet player........should I cancel the Messiah I have on Saturday?

tatakata likes this.
  3. wiseone2

Nov 19, 2003
    Brooklyn,NY
    I am calling Jerry Callet right now. He's been playing deafening quad Cs for the last thirty years. He has to be at least 75. He doesn't know the danger he's in. Maybe I should call EMS first and give them his address.
    Wilmer

4. Vulgano Brother

Vulgano Brother Moderator Staff Member

Mar 23, 2006
    Parts Unknown
    Once, when playing a funk gig, I took part of Tower of Power's In the Slot up an octave. I sort of passed out and fell over backwards. The crowd loved it, and I got to experience a mighty powerful head rush.

Does this mean that horns and mouthpieces will need to carry a warning label in the future?

5. Majestic1

Majestic1 New Friend

Dec 12, 2007
    Wise1,

It goes without saying that with a lack of blood to the brain, one not only faints but if this is a continued condition through lots of years, lots of hours, etc since a young age until old age, it appears that one becomes low in scholastic achievements, slow in thinking and sometimes down right impertinent.

6. wiseone2

Nov 19, 2003
    Brooklyn,NY
    Well said.
    What size mouthpiece do you use?
    Wilmer

7. Brekelefuw

Brekelefuw Fortissimo User

Mar 21, 2006
    Toronto
    Doc Cheatham played into his mid 90's.

8. RG111

RG111 Piano User

Nov 12, 2003
    I don't know about the rest of you, but I wouldn't quit playing to live an extra ten years!
    Roy

9. confuoco

confuoco Pianissimo User

Nov 11, 2007
    Majestic I think you might have a better chance of being hit by lightening. Why bring this up. Do you know someone first hand that this has happened to on a gig.

10. wilcox96

wilcox96 Mezzo Piano User

Oct 31, 2005
    charlotte nc

....priceless...;-)

As for what to do for Jerry Callet (or maybe "every" trumpet player on your holiday list??)... how about the "Life Alert" necklace!!!

[​IMG]

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.