Trumpet Playing May Be Dangerous to Your Health.

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Majestic1, Dec 12, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. NYCO10

NYCO10 Pianissimo User

Feb 20, 2010
    United Kingdom
    1 name comes to mind. he never over does it, hes always in his comfort zone. if he can do it, so can we! if you say the trumpets bad for your health what does that make 'prohibited substances'?!

Peace NYCO10

2. trumpet51

trumpet51 New Friend

Jul 13, 2009
    Charles wrote this 3 years ago. He has made tremendous strides in his playing, and HOW he plays. Now, the only thing that is dangerous to his health when playing trumpet is if he misses something more than 2 times and I either hit or yell at him.

Also from a physiological viewpoint, one's blood pressure often can be correlated to "blacking out" when playing. If it is either adversely low or high,
    the momentary "blacking out" can occur due to the CO2& 02 exchange. Also, foods or what you drink, or don't, can also produce a similar effect.

3. Al Innella

Al Innella Forte User

Aug 9, 2007
    Levittown , NY
    Dizziness and blackouts are caused by improper breathing,not by playing loud high notes.Before I developed my upper register,, I used to experience occasional dizziness and blackouts, these were caused when I tried to use too much air and too much mouthpiece pressure.I never suffered another headache ,blackout,or dizziness, once I figured out how to play in the upper register correctly ,that was 35 years ago.

4. trumpet51

trumpet51 New Friend

Jul 13, 2009
    The young man that wrote this 3 years ago, now has an upper register most players would envy. His post of 3 years ago, (I have to reiterate this) came from a young player who was searching for answers, and no doubt after being on a football field. He has found many answers in these years. This thread has certainly acquired more personal remedies than one would have thought. There is a plethora of reasons, as everyone has stated.

Please know, as I have said, this young player has worked through "trumpet playing may be dangerous to your health". Perhaps this thread should reach its end.

Joyce Davis, D.M.A., Professor of Trumpet, University of Florida, Gainesville

5. trumpet51

trumpet51 New Friend

Jul 13, 2009
    The young man that wrote this 3 years ago, now has an upper register most players would envy. His post of 3 years ago, (I have to reiterate this) came from a young player who was searching for answers, and no doubt after being on a football field. He has found many answers in these years. This thread has certainly acquired more personal remedies than one would have thought. There is a plethora of reasons, as everyone has stated.

Please know, as I have said, this young player has worked through "trumpet playing may be dangerous to your health". Perhaps this thread should reach its end.

Joyce Davis, D.M.A., Professor of Trumpet, University of Florida, Gainesville

Last edited: May 23, 2010
  6. Phil986

Phil986 Forte User

Nov 16, 2009
    Near Portland, OR.
    Well, we're kinda talking about the idea now, Trumpet51, not whether the OP still defends his thesis.

Interesting remark, Al. How did you figure it out and what did you start doing differently 35 years ago (if it can be said in a reasonable amount of words)?

7. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    If you guys want to talk about other things, start a new thread. This horse was beaten to death a couple of years ago. There is still no proof or even record of dead trumpet players. Thread locked

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.