Trumpet Playing May Be Dangerous to Your Health.

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Majestic1, Dec 12, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jude

Jude Piano User

Dec 2, 2007
    Or maybe trumpet playing is good for your health? Google sent me directly to this thread a couple of minutes ago when I was searching on 'trumpet' and 'blood pressure.' I was searching because I had just tried out a new Resperate device for lowering blood pressure by means of slowing the breathing rate from listening to music played at a decreasing tempo. My rate was slow enough to put me in the cheater's category from the very beginning, and I was wondering whether Nick Drozdoff's exercises (on a stuffy cornet, holding each note for 32 counts) - or maybe those 20-min g's? - had already had some effect in teaching me to breathe better. The whole country needs its blood pressure reduced - think of the trumpets they could sell if playing one turns out to help!

Last edited: Dec 12, 2007
  2. hubnub

hubnub Piano User

May 4, 2007
    Cleveland, OH
    Some of you cats are ruthless....:lol:

A 4th trp player spontaneous combusted during a solo on Cherokee the other night on a gig....:lol:

3. Vulgano Brother

Vulgano Brother Moderator Staff Member

Mar 23, 2006
    Parts Unknown
    In The Musical Times, June 1934, W.F.H. Blandford wrote in his article "Wind-Instruments and Health":

"Julius Kosleck (1825-1905), the Berlin virtuoso, who in his sixtieth year introduced to English hearers the 'Bach trumpet' at the bicentenary performance of the Mass in B minor at the Albert Hall in April, 1885, retired at sixty-eight and died at eighty. He did not spare his efforts. On that occasion I was sitting where I could look down on him. The singing of the overpowering and needlessly large choir quite drowned the the trumpets, but it was always possible to tell when Kosleck played and left off by wathching the crimson flush that came and went over his bald head like a 'Stop' and 'Go' signal..."

Last edited: Dec 12, 2007
  4. forrest

forrest Piano User

Aug 14, 2007
    St Louis MO
    I thought Valsalva was a town in southern Georgia, and the Valsalva Manuever was a way to get around the evening rush hour traffic.

5. Fluffy615

Fluffy615 Piano User

Nov 30, 2006
    New Jersey
    I'm only familiar with the Corbomite Manuever.
    It's a good thing it's hard to play high for too long for me. I guess I'll be fine!
    Bob

6. Vulgano Brother

Vulgano Brother Moderator Staff Member

Mar 23, 2006
    Parts Unknown
    Isn't that part of a a play by Chekov? ;-)

7. Bear

Bear Forte User

Apr 30, 2004
    USA
    Hmmm... learn how to breathe correctly and play effentictly and TA-DA.. no problems even in high output and "streneous" gigs.

The human body is an AMAZING machine.
    The mind, even more so.

8. Lezwoymn

Lezwoymn Pianissimo User

Oct 11, 2007
    Long Island, NY USA
    you guys are too funny

9. Bugle Boy

Bugle Boy New Friend

May 27, 2006
    Wytheville, VA
    No problem, I like to live dangerously, like everybody else on this site

10. Fluffy615

Fluffy615 Piano User

Nov 30, 2006
    New Jersey
    Hey Vulgano Brother, the corbomite manuever was no tribble at all!!
    Bob

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.