Trumpet Playing May Be Dangerous to Your Health.

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Majestic1, Dec 12, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Majestic1

Majestic1 New Friend

Dec 12, 2007
    A short time ago I was playing a gig almost every night and it was loud, high and fast. At times I found myself grabbing the music stand so that I would not fall. I felt like I was fainting.

I went to a lung doctor and described to him what was happening. He said, “Of course, what do you expect? You’re suffering from VM.†Then he told me about VM.

Every profession seems to have its hazards and VM seems to be the hazard for trumpet players. I am sure that you as a trumpet salesman do not want to heard this but it is true.

I am only posting this for your benefit, not mine. You all can accept it or reject it.

2. Schwab

Schwab Mezzo Piano User Staff Member

Feb 26, 2004

As Pete already mentioned, if you are playing like this, you are playing wrong.

Thanks for looking out for all of us though, we all appreciate your thoughtfulness and I'm sure that many (because of your posts, mind you) will quit this dangerous profession or hobby and start selling real estate instead.

3. Schwab

Schwab Mezzo Piano User Staff Member

Feb 26, 2004
    P.S. I seriously doubt that you attended an Ivy League school, given the grammatical errors in your posts. Merry Christmas!

Last edited: Dec 23, 2007
  4. Jude

Jude Piano User

Dec 2, 2007
    Hmm - that may not be enough to save you: from the Journal of Medical Hypotheses (1990 Jul;32(3):231-3.) "Cardio-vascular events at defecation are to a considerable degree the consequence of an unnatural (for a human being) seated defecation posture on a common toilet bowl or bed pan. The excessive straining expressed in intensively repeated Valsalva Maneuvers is needed for emptying the bowels in the sitting position. The Valsalva Maneuver adversely affecting the cardio-vascular system is the causative factor of defecation syncope and death..."

Personally, I'd rather go out on a high note.

Jude

Happy Festivus to All! Sorry I missed the Airing of Grievances; all things considered, maybe I won't hang around for the Feats of Strength, either (sorry - I'm on deadline).

5. tatakata

tatakata Mezzo Forte User

May 29, 2007
    ironic

MJ likes this.
  6. Majestic1

Majestic1 New Friend

Dec 12, 2007
    Hmmm, Eye had always thought that Dartmouth was eyevee leeg. My gramaticle errors are not bad for 2 hours sleep. Don't U think?

Concerning this subject, I've done my part.

7. bigdog

bigdog Pianissimo User

Jul 19, 2005
    hawaii
    "happy christmas",...........
    to all members on Trumpet Master.com

"mele kalikimaka",...... from hawaii

aloha,
    mark silva
    aka..............

8. bigdog

bigdog Pianissimo User

Jul 19, 2005
    hawaii
    still like the head rush tho
    bring on the new year gigs
    yum.........

aloha,

9. Majestic1

Majestic1 New Friend

Dec 12, 2007
    Please try not to put words into my mouth. FYI, one does not have to play to faint in order to create VM. You and every other trumpet player creates VM and if you think that you do not, then take your horn to the American Medical Association, get hooked up to their testing devices and prove to them that by blowing a large volume of air through pinched lips next to about a 4mm hole DOES NOT create VM. They need to know what to teach in all their medical schools that the patent of Antonio Maria Valsalva, the 17th Century physician and anatomist from Bologna, is not true.

Sorry Pete, no matter where you push that volume of air be it through your butt or through your mouth, the result/effect is the same.

10. veery715

veery715 Utimate User

Mar 6, 2007
    Ithaca NY
    I would expect then that most oboe players would die a premature death from VM. They bottle air up even more than we trumpeters do. Somebody please check the stats on this.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.