Trumpet Playing May Be Dangerous to Your Health.

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Majestic1, Dec 12, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Majestic1

Majestic1 New Friend

Dec 12, 2007
    I was going to say the same thing believe it or not.

Which wind instruments would create the most VM and which would create the least? Oboe is probably on top with Bassoon following it and French Horn is not far away from Trumpet.

2. Lezwoymn

Lezwoymn Pianissimo User

Oct 11, 2007
    Long Island, NY USA
    I have low blood pressure usually and I play alot and even in the upper register. I don't play in a band or what not, but, I'm sure it could happen, but, it would be pretty rare. And I'm sure the health of that individual wouldn't be normal to begin with.

3. Rain

Rain New Friend

Nov 16, 2007
    Kingston, TN
    well guess what? NOT playing trumpet is bad for my MENTAL health, I get all depressed if I go for more than two days without touching my horn, I think If I quit playing for good that I would become so depressed I would comit suaside because music and my trumpet IS MY LIFE. so in my case its MORE hazerdous to my health to stop playing. thank you very much

Rain

4. HSSRAIL

HSSRAIL New Friend

Jul 24, 2007
    Minnesota
    This reminds me of some stories I heard the truth of which I can not ascertain?

Louis Armstrong towards the end of his life was told by his doctors to quit performing but refused to do so. I don't know if he died in a performance or not I think not.

Buddy Rich was told to quit playing the drums towards the end of his life by his doctors and didn't do so. I don't know if he died in a performance or not I think not.

I draw two conclusions:
    If an activity becomes hazardous to your health your doctor may advise you to quit that activity.

If the activity is what makes your life worth living you probably won't listen to your doctor.

My grandfather loved the game of golf. He developed arthritis in his hip. Rather than quit the game he had a hip replacement operation when he was 78 very risky. He died of complications from that operation--he wouldn't have had it any other way.

5. Lezwoymn

Lezwoymn Pianissimo User

Oct 11, 2007
    Long Island, NY USA
    Rain, I feel the same way. I was playing some Xmas songs before and was told to stop cause of the cat. It really got me down.

6. Rain

Rain New Friend

Nov 16, 2007
    Kingston, TN

AMAN

7. Rain

Rain New Friend

Nov 16, 2007
    Kingston, TN

Why were you told to stop cause of the cat? what does your cat have to do with Christmas songs?

Rain

8. veery715

veery715 Utimate User

Mar 6, 2007
    Ithaca NY
    I too want to know what the cat has to do with it. I had a cat who hated my playing. He left the room whenever I picked up my horn. I did not consider him a critic. Cats hear stuff we don't. He never held it against me afterward.

I also need to play for my mental health. I attract chaos and when all around me is a flurry playing music grounds and centers me. I need it daily like it was medication.

9. Majestic1

Majestic1 New Friend

Dec 12, 2007
    One last word on this subject from my end. IMO, there will never be a study to prove that Trumpet playing is dangerous to your health. I stated in the title of this thread that trumpet playing maybe dangerous to your health and gave a reason why. I certainly do not have the last word on this subject nor does anybody else here have the final word. Just beware and be aware.

I must admit, I think that this subject is worthy of such a study. It might also explain other things like why people kept passing out in the bagpipe group that I was in, why the Oboe doesn’t seem to sound free and easy especially near the end of their performances and possibly the personality differences between wind players and string players, etc.

10. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany

I am sure there has been research done, probably with the result that this is generally insignificant EXCEPT for those that need something to worry about or with some other further disorder.

What oboe players do you listen to? the ones that I listen to (including my daughter) have a very relaxed approach and a wonderfully open sound!

Majestic1,
    like any other activity in life, if it doesn't work for you, there are enough alternatives. Most of lifes problems are self generated and this is no exception.

There is no personality difference between players with a professional attitude. Quality music always demands the same things, proper preparation, a vision and the will to succeed!

Perhaps this should be a call to get professional lessons from some player that has not died yet. They must be doing something right! If any of you have doubts about your own playing, I can recommend further study with PROVEN solutions like the Alexander Technique or Yoga. Get in tune with your body, it talks to you and will reward you amply if listened to! We do not need things to worry about. We need a solid plan to move forward.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.