Trumpet Playing May Be Dangerous to Your Health.

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Majestic1, Dec 12, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Majestic1

Majestic1 New Friend

Dec 12, 2007
    rowuk,

If you are so sure that this research has been done please direct us to it. I only know what my lung doctor told me and who am I to question his training and experience by asking for statistics?

Concerning the Oboe, that’s my point exactly…this type of wind instruments should only be played by the young players. I wish your daughter all the best in playing the Oboe. As to the Oboe players I have seen, I have seen a face that’s red with popping eyes and veins and so my eyes are relating this message to my ears.

As to your other comments, I can understand one getting upset when faced with a problem that they had no idea about before. It’s like a person who has suffered a lack of sufficient blood to the brain most of their life and are use to being mildly retarded and get all upset when someone comes around and tells what may cause retardation. Rather then bury ones head in the sand, it’s best to face it and deal with it. This is what internet has done….break peoples bubbles so that they can face reality. If it bothers you, you don’t have to read it or consider it another plan to move forward. The choice is yours.

Yes, whenever you feel blue, you should start breathing again for you might be suffering from VM.;-)

2. veery715

veery715 Utimate User

Mar 6, 2007
    Ithaca NY
    I have known many oboists. Some DO get red, but some don't. My brother-in-law retired as principal oboe in the LA Phil., after a succesful and long career. He never looked particularly red-faced, and now at about 60 is still fit and surfs whenever he can. The most important thing a wind player (or any musician) can do when not playing or practicing, is to keep fit. Exercise benefits all of the body, including lungs, heart AND BRAIN.

3. Vulgano Brother

Vulgano Brother Moderator Staff Member

Mar 23, 2006
    Parts Unknown
    My experience measuring my own blood pressure has shown the following: my blood pressure does not change when I pressurize myself internally, as when playing. A test group of one, to be sure, so not very scientific at all.

The valsalva manuever usually involves a closed glottis, trumpet playing does not, and we are talking about something in the 10.67-31.33 kPa range for the valsalva manuever. Trumpet playing is in the 2.0-5.0 kPa range.

A fun read:

http://scholar.lib.vt.edu/theses/available/etd-52598-204111/unrestricted/thesis.pdf

4. westview1900

westview1900 Piano User

Nov 30, 2005
    If, in fact, trumpet playing my be hazardous to one's health, why hasn't the Surgeon General warned me of this?

5. veery715

veery715 Utimate User

Mar 6, 2007
    Ithaca NY
    The Surgeon General says: For some individuals, playing the trumpet may be a health hazard. Send a tape of your playing to: SG, PO Box 12345, Washington DC, and you will be advised if this applies to you. Meanwhile wear a hardhat when playing.

6. _TrumpeT_

_TrumpeT_ Piano User

Apr 26, 2006
    Are you saying that trumpet players are retarded in general?

7. andredub

andredub Pianissimo User

Oct 16, 2005
    Toronto
    Was there ever any doubt? ^_^

8. Vulgano Brother

Vulgano Brother Moderator Staff Member

Mar 23, 2006
    Parts Unknown
    I would propose that trumpeters are more credulous than most sentient life forms. Soccer, for example, causes more real brain damage than trumpet playing does heart damage. Those headers really scramble things up! This is why Vulgani the world over are patrons of safer sports, like professional wrestling.

9. ccNochops

ccNochops Piano User

Sep 30, 2006
    White Marsh, VA
    "As to the Oboe players I have seen, I have seen a face that’s red with popping eyes and veins"...........Electric Oboe Jazz, it's a scary thing to see. This Valve-saliva thing is also why there are no piccolo tubas.....way to much pressure involved, couldn't keep valve caps on the fool thing :roll:

10. westview1900

westview1900 Piano User

Nov 30, 2005
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.