Trumpet playing protocol and suggestions?

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by kctrumpeteer, Apr 23, 2013.

1. kctrumpeteer

kctrumpeteer Piano User

Dec 23, 2009
    I play in a corporate band which seems like a nice break from work 1 day a week, but wondering how one best handles some of the following situations without coming off as being an A-hole. e.g. person shows up late for practice and then instead of bringing their own music, they share off yours and move your stand right in the middle of practicing and constantly move the music over to their side, they have a habit of coming in late (on the music) or just not having a good sound (sounds like a spitting sound so they have a crappy embouchure, and half the time in between stops in the song or in the middle of the song he is screwing around with his cell phone. Granted a few chairs from me in the other direction I have a semi-professional playing, but this guy has a tendency to bring me down. e.g. its like when I go golfing and I have a tendency to play up or down to my competition. And I feel like this guy is causing me to be off my game.

2. VetPsychWars

VetPsychWars Fortissimo User

Nov 8, 2006
    Greenfield WI
    What happens if you get there a little earlier and sit in a different spot? Are your chairs assigned?

Tom

3. edfitzvb

edfitzvb Forte User

Jun 10, 2008
    Woodlawn, VA
    I feel your pain. In my church orchestra ability levels vary widely. It can be very irritating to be playing a doubled line where the other player routinely misses accidentals or key changes, comes in late or early, sounds bad when they play the right notes..... Trust me, I understand. In my case these are volunteers and we need everyone we can get to cover parts. But it is difficult to play well when there is mess around you and interference. Will commiseration work in absence of advice?
    All I do is bite my tongue and try not to grimace.

4. mgcoleman

mgcoleman Mezzo Forte User

Jun 22, 2010
    Iowa
    I know we all are different, but this guy sounds a real piece of work! I doubt you personally can impact his tardy habits nor do much to curb his cell phone use - leave that for the leadership. As to the music/stand issue, I suggest anticipating his habit and make sure there is a stand waiting for him. This not only should be a nice gesture on your part, but would provide a hint (or at least it would to most). As for whether he remembers his music...who knows! You can't fix stupid.

5. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    Blow really loud in their ears each time the do a behavior you do not feel is appropriate. We call this operant conditioning. As a pediatrician, we use this with children... it also works with adults... especially adult musicians.

6. jiarby

jiarby Fortissimo User

May 7, 2011
    Arizona
    make a copy of your book, then when he pull that again just give him his own set... a couple chairs down the aisle.

7. Dale Proctor

Dale Proctor Utimate User

Jul 20, 2006
    Heart of Dixie
    Show up late and tell him you forgot your music. If he brought his, give him the same treatment he gives you, only worse. If he forgot his music, wait 'till he leaves and then get yours out of the car...

8. Vulgano Brother

Vulgano Brother Moderator Staff Member

Mar 23, 2006
    Parts Unknown
    I've been trying this with violists for years. Hasn't worked yet, except for the early retirements....

9. Vulgano Brother

Vulgano Brother Moderator Staff Member

Mar 23, 2006
    Parts Unknown
    Outdoor voices work really well. For the sake of argument, let's call this person "Fred:"

"HEY! ANYBODY HAVE AN EXTRA MUSIC STAND? FRED FORGOT HIS!"
    "HEY! ANYBODY HAVE EXTRA MUSIC? FRED FORGOT HIS!"
    "HEY FRED, WHO ARE YOU TEXTING?"

In extreme situations:

"HEY FRED, TRY FOLLOWING THE CONDUCTOR NEXT TIME!"
    "HEY FRED, TRY CLEANING YOUR TRUMPET OUT--YOU SOUND REAL BAD!"

Just make sure Fred isn't on the fast track to becoming your manager.

10. barliman2001

barliman2001 Fortissimo User

Jul 5, 2010
    Vienna, Austria, Europe
    Violists? You consort with those?

Honestly: Did you not know that they have finally found the missing link between ape and human? It's the viola player...

One day in an orchestra rehearsal break, I joked whether anyone knew what a blonde female viola player was? The answer? "Proof that you can survive with an IQ of zero".

That very moment, someone tapped me on the shoulder: "I heard that!!". It was a newly-joined blonde viola player whom I had not noticed before... OOOOOPS.