Trumpet playing = R.I.P.

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by oohhh yeah, Jan 15, 2009.

1. oohhh yeah

oohhh yeah Pianissimo User

Nov 23, 2008
    B.C. Canada
    I have recently read somewhere that trumpet playing produces enormous amounts of pressure on the air pipes, and that normal register playing puts about 5 to 10 pounds of pressure on the lips. The article also seemed to indirectly say that trumpet playing was bad for you and that it would make you die faster. So I just want to clarify, is trumpet playing bad for you, and will it make you die faster?:dontknow:

FlugelNoob likes this.
  2. tedh1951

tedh1951 Utimate User

Oct 18, 2007
    The Wide Brown Land
    Who cares? Apparently beer is bad for you too - who cares? Enjoy. :roll:

3. Pakatak

Pakatak New Friend

Yeah, it produces a lot of pressure, but I really doubt that it would cause you to die faster. It also helps lung capacity and air efficiency on and off the horn - a bassoonist at my school had a collapsed lung and didn't notice for the majority of the day. Also, even if it does, what point is there to a long life if there's nothing left to live for? Music is where it's at - it's way more fun than eating fast food (can't testify for beer) and a lot better for you, and you still do it anyway, right?

4. BrassOnLine

BrassOnLine Piano User

Nov 22, 2007
    Spain
    Well, after all excesses that many "high note players" did to their bodies, apparently they use to live many years.
    If you tell your doctor that you are suffering pain on your finger, the first he will think is "that finger should be cut". It's is so simple sometimes.
    In Spain we say: If you don't smoke, don't drink alcohol and don't have lots of women, you're not alive.
    I only agree with the last premise and eventually to second.

Also, when one of my friends went to his doctor, he said: no alcohol, no cigarettes, no pork... That will make me to live so longer ??? Not, but you'll feel that your life is TOO LONG and boring ;)

Take care, don't be so bad and you'll have a long and profitous life.

5. spevan

spevan New Friend

Dec 29, 2008
    hehehehe....

or maybe is it something else:
    - Fats Navarro: drugs & tbc
    - Clifford Brown: died in a car crash
    - Lee Morgan: shot by his wife

I think there are other things to worry about more... :-P

6. Dupac

Dupac Fortissimo User

Aug 19, 2008
    Bordeaux, France.
    BrassOnLine : I agree, the third premise is dangerous and can make your life shorter ! I have only one wife but several horns, they are also able to get you tired a lot...
    Spevan : think to Bunk Johnson, who was so old and yet blowing the trumpet !
    Oh ! Just a difference : my wife is unhappy when I take some good time with my horns, but my horns are not jealous of my wife ! Should I have to choose ?

7. TrumpetDude70

TrumpetDude70 New Friend

A few years ago I had one of the strange illnesses which nobody knows where it comes from, or how to cure it. I had loads of tests and it affected my lungs to a point where I could hardly walk upstairs without stopping..... When I asked my doctor about the effect brass playing could have, he told me to practice more as it would help build up my lung capacity again. So I did and he was right......

Its like many things in life, one person says something is bad for you, another says its good for you. My take on this is, if you do everything in moderation (must remember this with Beer...) it can't be that bad, and like Brassonline says, if you stop everything you enjoy you don't live longer, it just seems that way!!!!!

Keep playing, life is so much more fun with music in it!!!

8. wiseone2

wiseone2 Artitst in Residence Staff Member

Nov 19, 2003
    Brooklyn,NY
    ROFL
    Clark Terry, Joe Wilder, Bud Herseth, Maurice Murphy, Doc, Maurice Andre, John Frosk and quite a few others are playing great at 70+ years of age.

Wilmer.......no spring chicken:roll:

9. oldlou

oldlou Forte User

Aug 28, 2005
    Grand Rapids, Mi.
    I will be 73 YOA in April. Trumpet playing is keeping me, not young again, but, still active and happy. My cardiologist, yes, I do have cardio vascular disease, tells me that my deep breathing for trumpet playing is one of the major factors in my continued life. Even if trumpet playing were deleterious to my longevity I would still play my horns.

OLDLOU>>

10. et_mike

et_mike Mezzo Forte User

Oct 16, 2007
    Chesapeake, VA
    The article you read was probably written by a clarinet player tired of the trumpets blowing into the back of their head.... play on my friend and don't worry about the trumpet killing you.... it won't happen.:play: