Trumpet playing = R.I.P.

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by oohhh yeah, Jan 15, 2009.

1. tedh1951

tedh1951 Utimate User

Oct 18, 2007
    The Wide Brown Land
    Way to go Spitkey. :worthy::wave::bravo:

2. Bloomin Untidy Musician

Bloomin Untidy Musician Piano User

Jan 14, 2008
    Staffordshire
    I think burgers, chocolate and booze will kill me before the trumpet!

3. eisprl

eisprl Mezzo Piano User

Sep 26, 2004
    Halifax, NS CANADA

I know some clarinets who would agree.

4. lovevixen555

lovevixen555 Banned

Nov 5, 2008
    Michigan
    My best friend and college roomate has COPD and is only in his 40's. He is skinny as a rail and to look at him you would never know he has COPD. He got it from liveing on a diet of smokes and coffee and very little sleep. He might of eaten 1-2 meal every 48 hours chooseing instead to live off coffee and smokes. No one in his family has COPD or anything remotely like it. He has also fought cancer three times now. He stops smokeing each time the cancer comes back while he is doing the Chemo but as soon as he is in remission he goes right back to smokeing even though he has to use an inhaller and take medications for his COPD.

I understand that not everyone that get's COPD get's so young and know's 100% what the cause was. In his cause though it was preventable. He was diagnoised with Emphasema in his early 30's.

So my point is that even when things are preventable we are creatures of habbit and if we do not chose to break bad habits then we never will as they do not stop themselfs.

I have to agree though that even if it killed me I would not stop doing somethign like playing the trumpet if it was something I passionately enjoyed and all I had to look forward too! I mean it is not like any of us are going to live for ever so might as well enjoy some good clean fun!

5. Richard Oliver

Richard Oliver Forte User

Jul 18, 2006
    Casper, WY
    oops

6. zonebob

zonebob New Friend

Dec 30, 2008
    Kansas
    I remember reading that the last few years of his life Satchmo was told not to play by his doctor. But it wasn't the playing that got him to that point, it was genes and/or lifestyle. If he'd been a runner, the doc probably would have told him to give that up also, as either one was probably too much strain on his heart.

7. wiseone2

wiseone2 Artitst in Residence Staff Member

Nov 19, 2003
    Brooklyn,NY
    I have played for 64 years..........I aint dead yet!
    I don't get this thread:dontknow:
    Wilmer

8. Wlfgng

Wlfgng Piano User

Aug 15, 2008
    Canada
    I hope trumpet playing = R.I.P. is false.

I haven't even had my midlife crisis yet!

9. wiseone2

wiseone2 Artitst in Residence Staff Member

Nov 19, 2003
    Brooklyn,NY
    It's false!
    Some of the best trumpet playing around is done by guys in their sixties and older.
    Wilmer

10. et_mike

et_mike Mezzo Forte User

Oct 16, 2007
    Chesapeake, VA
    I'm 30, can do 87 pushups in 2 min, 105 situps in 2 min and run a mile and a half in 11 min flat.... I'm also 20lbs overweight and on bloodpressure medicine.... the amount of "activity" you can accomplish in one setting has very little correlation to how healthy you are. At 14 you should be able to go none stop.... so why only 40? ;-) Enjoy your trumpet and don't worry about every article you read. If you do a little research here, you find that trumpet and health issues is a topic that comes up quite a bit... and always with the same result.