Trumpet Playing Without Spit

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by john7401, Nov 2, 2009.

1. john7401

john7401 Pianissimo User

Jul 3, 2009
    The only reason I ask is because it seems to be easier to play higher without spit (cause it causes less lip vibration when they arent moist?) but tone quality suffers. Is it possible to play without spit and still sound good? Were there any professionals that did this?

2. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    it is kind of hard to turn spit off in your mouth. It is one of those natural functions that are subconcious. I don't know anyone who purposely spits while playing though.

There are enough players that play with dry lips though. That seems to work for some well enough.

3. john7401

john7401 Pianissimo User

Jul 3, 2009
    Yes, I guess I did mean dry lips... How hard would it be to switch from wet lips to dry? Would it even be possible to make it a gradual switch?

It seems to give me maybe slightly better control but it makes higher notes easier. It does sacrifice tone though, thats why I'm asking. If its too much trouble I'm just going to forget it though.

4. Mamba21500

Mamba21500 Piano User

Feb 26, 2009
    I always play with dry lips, I find it really hard to play with wet ones, I don't think my tone suffers, but you should ask someone on the other end of the trumpet what they think.

It's no trouble to swap from wet to dry or vice versa, just wipe your lips and you mouthpiece rim when it feels appropriate.

5. tpetplyr

tpetplyr Pianissimo User

Dec 15, 2003
    Boston
    I know players who use both methods quite successfully. I'm not sure there is any inherent benefit in one or the other. They are different, and most people are just naturally comfortable with one or the other.

I also know people who have switched, and it was not necessarily easy. I know one player who switched from dry to wet because he sweated when he was nervous. The sweat made his chops wet, so he learned to play that way. I know another who switched from wet to dry because she wanted the mouthpiece to stick to her face. The switches took a little while before they were comfortable. It's NOT an embouchure change, but neither is it as simple as wiping off your lips and "voila!".

6. john7401

john7401 Pianissimo User

Jul 3, 2009
    Thanks for the help guys :-)
    This sounds like something to try after the marching season is over.

7. a marching trumpet

a marching trumpet Mezzo Piano User

Feb 11, 2009
    Murfreesboro, TN
    Me personally I like my lips we on sustained notes below a G (on top of the staff) but on anything fast I cant stand wet lips or anything in the mpc. Same with high notes, I perform better all around in my upper register from G up with dry lips, especially about Eb, just my high school opinion.

8. progmac

progmac Pianissimo User

Jan 9, 2009
    i drink a ton of water while i play, and frankly, generate a lot of spit. if i don't have my water with me, i hardly create any, but i find playing to be quite a bit less pleasant.
    okay, i don't actually drink the water WHILE playing, although that would be quite a trick.