Trumpet practice and my crazy dog?

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by I Am The Strumpet, Nov 24, 2008.

1. I Am The Strumpet

I Am The Strumpet New Friend

Oct 27, 2008
    Every time I practice, my dog goes beserk. It's the weirdest thing on earth. I pick up my trumpet, he stares at me expectantly, and I play a single note and he starts barking and whining. THe only note that doesn't bother him is a low D. I've tried putting him outside, or in the other room, but he actually wants to be with me while I'm playing. He'll even yowl at me from behind closed doors and scratch at them to be with me. Does anyone else own a dog and have this problem? I don't know if he is trying to sing with me or it hurts his ears. Even when I mute it, he still howls like crazy. Has anyone encountered this? I don't want to hurt his ears, and I certainly have NO idea where to find doggie earplugs... the stonelined cup mute really doesn't help. What are people's solutions to this? And is there a mute I can buy that will seriously quiet it down so that this might end?

2. Dupac

Dupac Fortissimo User

Aug 19, 2008
    Bordeaux, France.
    Some dogs dislike trumpeters who play like CAT Anderson !

3. ExtraTeeth

ExtraTeeth Pianissimo User

Nov 13, 2008
    Perth, Western Australia
    I think its quite common or at least not unusual for dogs to want to sing along to musical instruments. I'm sure if he was in any pain he would do the sensible thing and run away. He isn't being aggressive to the trumpet so he's not concerned the instrument is attacking you. I've got 3 cats, one of whom hides and the other two don't care. You might have to consult an animal behaviourist.

4. ozboy

ozboy Mezzo Forte User

Jan 17, 2007
    Australia
    I've got a dog that howls to one particular exercise. I can play it anywhere within a practice and he will howl like a maniac. He is a very intelligent dog (Australian Kelpie: Barb bloodlines for the experts out there) and it has become a bit of a standing gag.He does not react to any other exercise.

5. godchaser

godchaser Banned

Jun 17, 2007

You may want to consider sound-proofing a practice room, if possible. It's fairly inexpensive. If your dog doesn't associate the room with your playing, there shouldn't be any problems. Obviously this all hinges on whether the sound-proofing is to measure of a dog's acute hearing.

Beyond that, i can't think of a thing, except working directly with a trainer. But an animal's obediance in spite of the their seemingly inherent strong reactions -doesn't seem like a good idea. At least, in the absence of having a clear understanding of the reactions.

At times when i'm visting relatives and have to endure hardcore country music - i could do murder with a smile. :) -My relatives cruel and unusual punishment, not with standing.

:lol:

I feel for you Bud. Hope you find a solution real soon.

Cheers

Chris
    -

Last edited: Nov 25, 2008
  6. et_mike

et_mike Mezzo Forte User

Oct 16, 2007
    Chesapeake, VA
    My puppy did the same thing... vet said that it wasn't bothering his ears but he may be interpreting it as something that is bothering you. He said to keep the dog in the room with you while you practice, but to ignore his response to the horn. Took about three weeks, but I can now practice all I want and he sits there quietly.

7. RobertSlotte

RobertSlotte Pianissimo User

Jul 7, 2008
    Finland
    :-PMy dog Zeb sings along with my playing almost every day.
    Sometimes I like his singing but If I play badly and get frustrated it is exstreamly irritating

Last edited: Nov 25, 2008
  8. Solar Bell

Solar Bell Moderator Staff Member

May 11, 2005
    Metro Detroit
    My two miniature dachshunds come into my office and sit right in front of me, wag their tail and sing along.

They seem to like it.

-cw-

9. Tootler

Tootler New Friend

Oct 10, 2008
    Ottawa
    I have three dogs at home and only the beagle reacts when I practise...the other two sleep. He won't start his howling until I get up to D and once I go down the scale, he stops. The damndest thing is that he's almost in tune as well. My only solution is to put him outside while I practise; he's far enough out of tune to throw me :-)

10. Wlfgng

Wlfgng Piano User

Aug 15, 2008
    Canada
    I have 2 cats who literally come running when they hear the "click" of the latches on my case.

They both just sit side by side and stare while I play, as soon as the horn goes in the case they leave.