Trumpet practice and my crazy dog?

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by I Am The Strumpet, Nov 24, 2008.

1. JRFIII

JRFIII Pianissimo User

Feb 20, 2008
    New Jersey
    Ok, So I have this dog, half beagle and half basset hound. Her name is Rosie. So we call Rosie a Bagel. The only time she exhibits somewhat similar behavior is towards the vacuum or the leaf blower.

So, (tongue-in cheek) she only reacts to that which really sucks or really blows. (Which I am confident is not reflective of your present situation.)

Joke over, if the animal is not reacting aggressively to the actual insturment then it is more likely that it is just irritating to its's more sensitive hearing, or excites some primitive instinct to run down an elk or a deer in rut.

If routine familiarization to the situation doesn't calm the canine, then looking at some level of sound-proofing to reduce the animal's stress might be advised.

2. Bob Grier

Bob Grier Forte User

May 4, 2007
    Greensboro, NC
    He thinks you are howling and he's responding. If it hurt his ears he would run away from it My beagle used to come sit at my feet and sleep. My foxhound bays when a siren goes by. I think he thinks it's another dog.

3. Darthsunshine

Darthsunshine Mezzo Forte User

Jul 19, 2008
    Seattle, WA
    Mini & Mattie either sleep through my playing or stand at the baby gate between the kitchen and my practice room and wag their tails (See my avatar for a photo of "the girls."). They seemingly have no desire to sing, although Mattie talks like a Wookie at dinner time :lol:

4. Brassmonkey

Brassmonkey Pianissimo User

Jan 6, 2007
    Florida
    After I graduated from college I shared a fairly large house with 3 roomates. One had a Bluetick Coonhound that howled like crazy whenever I practiced. I tried putting him outside one day but all he did was sit outside the window where I was and howled out there. The neighbors didn't appreciate that too much. Just to add insult to injury, one of my roomates played alto sax and the dog would just lay there and go to sleep when he practiced! Aside from all the howling, he was a pretty cool dog - smart too.

5. willbarber

willbarber Piano User

Nov 22, 2008
    Medina, NY
    Haha, my dogs do that when my brother plays the sax, but they're actually unaffected by brass.

We just leave them in their cages, and shut the door. Let 'em deal with it.

6. mrmusicnotes

mrmusicnotes Piano User

Nov 11, 2007
    N.Y.C.
    My cat usually comes down to my music room and just sits and listens.Also, she hardly sits on my lap except when I am at my computer.I can"t figure out why,but she jumps on my lap and will not move 100% of the time at the computer.