Trumpet practice

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by CornetBoy, Mar 17, 2013.

1. CornetBoy

CornetBoy Pianissimo User

Sep 21, 2012
    how much should i practice a day? i get the feeling i am not practicing enough! i practice about 30 minutes a day.

2. mush-mouth

mush-mouth Pianissimo User

Aug 3, 2009
    How long is a piece of string?

How much you practice depends on your physical capabilities (do you have enough endurance to practice more?) and your personal musical goals. Obviously, more is better, but only to a certain point -- it's very important you're not causing excessive fatigue with your body by overpracticing.

If you're "practicing" mindlessly without addressing specific areas of your playing that require improvement then you're just wasting precious time. However, if you focus on improving the parts that are giving you trouble and you are mindful of using the absolute best technique you can muster then you won't need to practice as much to achieve good results.

As to your question, how long have you been playing? If you're just starting (or just starting again after a long time off) then maybe 30 minutes is enough so that you don't strain yourself. However, if you've been playing for a while and you are at a plateau where you're not improving any more then maybe you need to practice more. If that's the case then try adding another 30 minute session per day and see how your lips feel after a few days. Keep in mind that when you add more practice time that also means adding more rest time, so rather than doing 1 hour at a time, split it into two 30 minute sessions.

retro23 likes this.
  3. godsong

godsong Pianissimo User

Mar 2, 2013
    I have been spending 2-4 hours almost every day and my strides are magnanimous. Work hard while your young. I'm 50 and wish I applied myself more as a young-en. Also studying Jazz for the first time at JazzEveryOne.com for $15 a month. Willie Thomas has made practice fun again.

4. jiarby

jiarby Fortissimo User

May 7, 2011
    Arizona
    You are right!!

The sages on the internet seem to think that musical mastery of your instrument takes 10,000 hours. For you that would be 20,000 days.
    How many years is 20,000 days??

FIFTY-FOUR!!

So, if you want to get serious about learning to play the trumpet then spend more time with the horn in your hands than your x-box controller and your cell phone.

Even 3hrs of face time a day is a bit over 9 years to get 10,000 hrs. Plus, there is alot you need to do in your off-face time that can improve your musicianship..
    transcribing, ear training, theory, composition, listening, attending concerts and performances. 3hrs of face time and 3-4hrs of other stuff will get you to the top... maybe.

5. Brad-K

Brad-K Piano User

Jun 18, 2011
    Yes, but "mastery" and "the top" is not everyone's goal. My goal is simply to master the beginner's method book I started, but wasn't allowed to finish when I was 10 (or 11...can't remember). My goal, is just to simply enjoy playing my horn, and enjoy making what progress comes from continuation.

And "Mastery"? ...Is there really such a thing? Do we ever truly "Get There"? And is there really a set number of hours that qualifies one for such a designation? Perhaps it differs with the individual, and his or her aptitude and application.

Plus, I know there are people who quit, because after many years of study, they feel they will never attain some elite level, even though they are relatively accomplished players. To place such a requirement can cause frustration, and hopelessness.

I play for about a half hour a day. That's fine with me for now. For me and many, it's all we have time for (though I do agree with what you say about cell phones, game controllers, and even this forum). Hopefully, I will practice more in the future. But the thing is, I DO practice....I DO return. Why? Not because of some obligation to the number, "10,000," but because I WANT to. I enjoy it. I miss it when I don't play.

I play/practice, because when I do, I can FORGET about time...just for a while. It's fun, and I like it.

6. kingtrumpet

kingtrumpet Utimate User

Sep 20, 2009
    New York State USA
    On my comeback -- I worked the first 3 or so years @ the tune of about 3 hrs a day --- I made vast improvement, and FOR ME that was about 3,000 hours and I ended up exceeding (IMHO) whatever I was as a trumpet player in my younger GLORY YEARS. Now I turned 48 yesterday, I am steady with an hour of practice each day with the trumpet/trombone doubling. I am still improving ------ ALL I CAN SAY, is that I am glad that I initially did the 3 hour practices ---- I am in a community band, and I can play everything I need to with both instruments. ----- and that is OK!!!!!!

7. Brad-K

Brad-K Piano User

Jun 18, 2011
    I guess the answer is, if you think you should practice more, than you should practice more. Simple.

8. DaveH

DaveH Piano User

Nov 27, 2003
    The simple answer is two words long..."It depends".

Depends on what? ...a lot of things, such as your age, level of present development, whether or not you are taking lessons, your goals both short and long range, your own standards and expectations/seriousness of purpose, how far you intend/wish to go/what you intend to do as a player...and perhaps some other things I did not mention.

As in most things, you will probably be able to answer your own question after you have examined where you are now and where you want to go.

9. kcmt01

kcmt01 Mezzo Forte User

Sep 25, 2009
    Polson, MT
    On the other hand, 10 minutes is better than nothing. In other words, don't get hung up on trying to find a 2 or 3 hour block of time to practice. Most of us who work for a living just can't do that. The other day, for instance, I was shuttling grade schoolers back and forth on a field trip to the hospital. While I was waiting, I warmed up, then played some scales, etc. I got a lot of practice in, 10 or 20 minutes at a time. Otherwise I'd have gotten zero.

10. jiarby

jiarby Fortissimo User

May 7, 2011
    Arizona
    I agree, you should balance your workload with your ambitions so that they are in sync. The OP said he didn't think he was doing enough... I guess it depends on what his goals are. If he is 4th chair in his high school's 2nd band and wants to win his next chair challenge then 1/2 hour a day may be plenty.