Trumpet price inflation?

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Skelingtin, Sep 2, 2013.

1. Skelingtin

Skelingtin New Friend

Feb 5, 2013
    I browse WWBW occasionally and noticed something over the year or two. I own a 8335RGS Xeno that I bought new for $2,300. My concern is, the price of the exact same model with no visible or specification changes is increasing. It seems to me like every 8 months to a year it goes up about $100. Now this is just this model on this site, so I'm not sure if this is common marketing among other sites or models as well. As of right now its at $2,500.

Anyway it somewhat bothers me that this is happening this fast. Is this normal?

2. amzi

amzi Forte User

Feb 18, 2010
    Northern California
    It's called Inflation. The value of the Dollar has decreased against the Yen--thus the prices of goods produced in Japan has increased to US consumers. Actually the Dollar has rebounded against the Yen and is now equal to the relative value seen in 1999. It will be interesting to see if the prices of Japanese built goods return to that previous level.

3. Sethoflagos

Sethoflagos Utimate User

Aug 7, 2013
    Lagos, Nigeria
    You got a $2,500 horn for $2,300. Good thing isn't it?

Better than the other way around!

4. Evergrey_rocks

Evergrey_rocks Piano User

Aug 18, 2013
    Yeah, When I bought a used Bach Strad 37 2 years ago, a brand new one was $2500. Now they're like $3000. And my King Silver Flair; last year when I started looking at them a new one was $1300. Now they are $1500. I guess I should look up the price of a King 601 since I don't want mine anymore. lol

5. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    Don't even ask what I paid for my new Harrelson... but it is a custom made horn in an entirely different class...

6. Masterwannabe

Masterwannabe Mezzo Piano User

Sep 11, 2009
    Colorado
    If someone suggests you hold your breath I hope you know circular breathing.:lol:

7. cyber_shake

cyber_shake Mezzo Forte User

Jun 16, 2006
    The 'Nati
    Cash is cash ... so ya gotta have it to buy whatever you want ... but even with inflation there is hardly a better (read as 'more inexpensive') pro instrument choice than a trumpet. When I think about the cost of just a good violin bow and then look at the price of a decent instrument, the $20K custom Monette or whatever Gary is paying for his sweet new Harrelson is simply a drop in the bucket. Bottom line: congrats for choosing trumpet. In the long run of life, you will save lots of $$$$. Now go buy something and stimulate the economy!

8. Vulgano Brother

Vulgano Brother Moderator Staff Member

Mar 23, 2006
    Parts Unknown
    Prices were pretty low when I was an undergraduate--a Bach could be had for $350 through the discount places and was a benchmark of sorts for trumpets. In 1983 Dave Monette was making trumpets for $1500. Not long afterwards Bach's prices started to skyrocket. Why? Obviously (tongue in cheek) a Monette can't be four times better than a Bach, can it?

9. Masterwannabe

Masterwannabe Mezzo Piano User

Sep 11, 2009
    Colorado
    I think some of this demonstrates why "Vintage" horns can be so desirable. Case in point: I have seen very few Connstellations sell on eBay for much over $1000. When I bought mine in 1961 it cost $395 and that was just about the best horn you could buy at the time. If we took that $395 and brought it up to today's value (I don't know the formula off-hand) I would guess it would be well over $2500. That seems to make a pretty good value to me, maybe should encourage more vintage buying instead of new & improved.

10. cyber_shake

cyber_shake Mezzo Forte User

Jun 16, 2006
    The 'Nati
    There are so many sweet vintage horns to be had at fairly good prices. Strads, Sevs, Connies, Recordings, everything Benge, and the list goes on and on. The old horns are a good value with a few exceptions ... just gotta make sure everything is good and the red rot hasn't taken over. I think the majority of modern horns are more consistent in quality, but I've been very happy with many vintage axes ...