Trumpet price inflation?

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Skelingtin, Sep 2, 2013.

1. Mamba21500

Mamba21500 Piano User

Feb 26, 2009
    Living in the US is actually remarkably cheap compared to other places in the world. Measured by purchasing power, the USD in the US is very strong.

Inflation lowers the purchasing power of a currency, which makes things cost more of the currency (although as your wage will have increased with inflation, it won't actually be much more expensive for you to buy). Here's a graph of the US CPI (Consumer price index, it represents the relative cost of consumer products). Look at the blue line.

[​IMG]

Compare this against my conveniently backwards income data (not the same time scale, don't let that catch you out!) and you will see that the two charts follow a similar trend, meaning that trumpets haven't actually become massively more expensive.

Capture.PNG

Last edited: Sep 7, 2013
  2. Ed Lee

Ed Lee Utimate User

Aug 16, 2009
    Jackson NC
    It may be for you, but not to me.

3. Evergrey_rocks

Evergrey_rocks Piano User

Aug 18, 2013
    Bach=good, OVER RATED (and OVER PRICED). Monette...I've played on one horn...it's OKAY. I don't like the way it feels. I like the mouthpieces from both companies, specifically Bach, but the horns...eeh. I thought my Bach was AMAZING until I started learning more about other companies like Conn, King, Yamaha, and Getzen. I've said it too many times before, but I'll say it again, King > Conn & Yamaha > Bach > Getzen > Monette. This is just going off of the horns I've played on. But any brand new trumpet nowadays is overpriced in my opinion. If you can find a used one in great condition, buy it!

4. Dale Proctor

Dale Proctor Utimate User

Jul 20, 2006
    Heart of Dixie
    I just buy old junk and try to play it. I wonder if I had a brand-new horn, at two to three times the price of a used one, would I be two or three times a better player?

5. stumac

stumac Fortissimo User

Oct 19, 2008
    Flinders Vic Australia
    I would not class your latest Conn 9A as "old junk", a gorgeous horn.

My favourite horn at the moment is an early 60s Buffet-Crampon Balanced, 1/12 the cost of my Eclipse MS, I do not play 12 times better on the Eclipse. I can play equally badly on any horn.

Regards, Stuart.

6. Dale Proctor

Dale Proctor Utimate User

Jul 20, 2006
    Heart of Dixie
    Yeah, I'm picky about the junk I buy. Funny thing is, parents are spending twice what I paid for the 9A every day for new, name-brand beginner horns that will be worth less than my 9A in a year. That kind of puts it in perspective, doesn't it? I'm almost 61 and have owned exactly one (1) brand-new, never played horn in my life. That was the King Cleveland cornet my parents bought me when I was in 6th grade. Everything else has been either slightly used, well used, or 100+ years old...:lol:

7. Masterwannabe

Masterwannabe Mezzo Piano User

Sep 11, 2009
    Colorado
    I'm almost 67 and the only new horn I've ever owned is my 1961 Connstellation I bought in the same year and there is not a ding in that horn. I like your style!:D:play::thumbsup: