Trumpet Price?

Discussion in 'TM Classifieds' started by MikeSparks, Mar 10, 2018.

1. MikeSparks

MikeSparks New Friend

Mar 6, 2018
    USA
    I have a Strad 37, raw brass. It's completely original and has never had repairs, only 3 or 4 small bumps. Serial number is 44961 and it was made in '68. I love this trumpet and I plan on keeping it until the end of my days, but I was just curious as to how much it would be worth?

TrumpetMD likes this.
  2. Clarkvinmazz

Clarkvinmazz Forte User

May 11, 2013
    Oberlin, Ohio
    Most likely between $1,000 and 1,800ish depending on the condition of the valves and the market at the time. I regard The early Elkhart horns like yours as the best homes Bach has made- the tooling and techniques of the my Vernon era horns with the better workmanship of the conn workers who transferred meant they were the most consistently great horns Bach ever made, and are cheaper than any mt Vernon or New York.

True Tone likes this.
  3. OldSchoolEuph

OldSchoolEuph Mezzo Forte User

Apr 1, 2011
    Michigan
    I think early Elkhart horns have come to be appreciated more since Bach reintroduced the design as the 190s. I would put a few hundred dollar premium on that estimate.

EarLy Elkhart horns are distinct models, it's not so much workmanship - though that helps. The classic Mt. Vernon horns originate a few years before the Mt. Vernon facility actually opened and can be recognized chiefly by the more squared tuning slide relative to New York models and by the typical pull of the tuning slide. The slide sleeves are over 3/8" shorter than on a model 180, thus that pull tends to be around an inch to play in tune rather than the 1/2" we are used to today. In late 1962, the 180s began production at Mt. Vernon and those unique horns lasted through 1964. In 1965, with the move to the former Buescher plant on Main Street in Elkhart complete, production began there (the prior year having been comprised of selling complete, and assembled from parts Mt. Vernon 180s out of that plant). Bells made in Elkhart differed from those made in New York in that the standard metal thickness, and thus weight, increased to what is normal today, and the bell rim wire changed from brass to steel. These core characteristics of the Early Elkhart Bach remained until only around 1973, when the valve casings were changed to lighter 1-piece builds, and sometime shortly after, the rim wire changed back to brass ending what we know as Early Elkhart Bachs.

True Tone likes this.
  4. LaTrompeta

LaTrompeta Forte User

May 3, 2015
    Was Colorado...now Utah
    Tough to say, but early Elkhart is usually well sought-after.

I think you could get $1500 all day. Maybe more from the right buyer.

True Tone likes this.
  5. TrumpetMD

TrumpetMD Fortissimo User

Oct 22, 2008
    Maryland
    First of all, it's no fair talking about your trumpet without posting pictures of it. ;) (Just kidding.) Welcome to TM!

Mike