Trumpet Problem!

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Blazing Asian, Nov 2, 2007.

1. Blazing Asian

Blazing Asian Pianissimo User

Nov 10, 2006
    I've been for upcoming audition and something is really troubling me. So, when not performing and just practicing at school, I use a Bach student model (TR300) and the thing is when I am practicing, once I go above maybe A above the staff, the sound just cuts off. (I have cleaned it thoroughly)

I have tried relaxing my lips and grip but nothing happened. Now, when I went and played on and old Benge and my Bach Strad, I could play a nice high C. (I use the same mouthpiece on both)

Whats goin' on here? :dontknow:

2. hubnub

hubnub Piano User

May 4, 2007
    Cleveland, OH
    Dump the student horn and go with the pro model! Any reason for playing the TR300? I'd make a lamp of it [tr300] and take it out of the mix.

3. Blazing Asian

Blazing Asian Pianissimo User

Nov 10, 2006
    Its my marching trumpet...don't wanna take my nice Strad outside.

Plus, playing inside with 120 kids gets kinda stuffy...

4. Bear

Bear Forte User

Apr 30, 2004
    USA
    Get with a teacher and really chcek out what's going on with your facial structure/air when you try to go above A.

5. Lezwoymn

Lezwoymn Pianissimo User

Oct 11, 2007
    Long Island, NY USA
    I agree with Bear. I have a Bach student model TR701, which is the least expensive and I can get to a high C on it. I odn't think there is anything wrong with the trumpet itself.

6. pops

pops Pianissimo User

Mar 17, 2004
    Dallas
    Sometimes a horn has a slight problem that enables it to play in and below the staff but makes it REALLY hard to play above the staff.

Solder blobs inside the horn, valve alignment slightly off, water keys leak air slightly.......

I have had people come in to take a lesson even with a NEW trumpet that had one of these problems and when I hand them another horn they CAN play higher.

When something like this happens it IS the horn.

7. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    BA,
    some player/mouthpiece/horn combinations are easier to play than others. This is impossible to diagnose over the internet.
    The rule of thumb is: if it is easier, it is easier!
    To "change" the playing characteristics of a massed produced instrument, you need a torch, a lathe, maybe a hacksaw and a hammer as well as a couple of years training to know how to apply them without making things worse!

If you are getting ready for an audition, spend ALL of your time with your best equipment! That is how you develop consistency. I would even say skip marching band the week of the audition - one wrong step and your chops are MUSH!