Trumpet Profiles.

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Conn-solation, Mar 26, 2012.

1. Conn-solation

Conn-solation Pianissimo User

Jan 22, 2011
    On my way to Bearberry Ab
    Has anyone else seen this book... by Louis Davidson??

During my trumpet lesson on Saturday, my teacher was telling me about practice strategies described in a book he had and he mentioned one Knud Hovaldt from Denmark who, as a student, practiced only for 20 minutes but repeated that 14 times a day.

As the lesson came to an end he went looking for that book and loaned it to me till next lesson..... It is fascinating because in includes survey responses from Louis Davidson from 33 trumpet players. The responses are mostly in their own handwriting from the likes of Cat Anderson, Maurice Andre, Maynard Ferguson, Pee Wee Erwin, Doc, Clark Terry, Bobby Hackett and Dizzy Gillespie.....among others of the same abilitiies...

The questions asked were
    At what age did you begin to study the trumpet?

Who were the teacher/teachers who had the greatest affect in your development?

Player or players in your field you most admired and who most influenced your own playing?

Player or players in areas of music other than your own whom you admire?

Performers in media other than the trumpet (vocal, piano, violin, etc.) whom you admired and who influence your developement as a musician?

As a student how many hours of practice did you average per day?

as a professional performing artist, how much practicing do you do -- on a day of performance? on a free day?

Do you use the b flat trumpet exclusivly? if not what others?

What size mouthpiece do you normally use?​

It winds up with a summary of strategies and notations about these successful players of the past and no doubt applies to the presently successful players as well...

2. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    Yeah, I read it. Useless information but a real guide to how many different combinations still work when you practice enough!

3. Conn-solation

Jan 22, 2011
    And THAT is the bottom line!!!!

4. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    I have found several profiles (for free) by searching the internet (Wikipedia is a good source) but when helping you with your own playing style, I agree with rowuk, you will not get much use from reading these. I did find the profiles use to looking at categories as to what options exist for developing a Minimal Structure that enhances improvisational skills. In fact I have developed workshops using this information where attendees read several profiles and then choose which one is most favorable for their current level, then after choosing, use this base profile as a starting point in which to continue to develop their own improvisational goals.

5. Ed Lee

Ed Lee Utimate User

Aug 16, 2009
    Jackson NC
    I can stop at the point of "20 minutes practice, 14 times a day". That's above average non-performing practice and I like all the rest breaks.

6. tobylou8

tobylou8 Utimate User

Dec 22, 2008
    Virginia
    That's still almost 5hrs a day! At least a part-time job.

7. Conn-solation

Jan 22, 2011
    What I find beneficial about the info in this book is the revelation of the amount of time these 'ideal' examples of trumpet players put into learning and excelling at their instruments. Young people, especially now in the instant gratification generations, think that these talents should come easy and quickly. I know that I had this mindset to a certain degree when I was really young. It is something that needs to be relayed to all of the new generation of musicians.... not just trumpet players..... I do know that some 'get it' more naturally than others........ and some would rather play with and dream about cars.....

There was a youtube video on here a while back by a musician... can't remember his name.... who talked about this kind of 'attitude' amongst his students... he had some pretty strong language about the situation....

8. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    It was Branford Marsalis, Wynton's brother.

9. SteveRicks

SteveRicks Fortissimo User

Aug 15, 2009
    Alabama
    Delete

Last edited: Mar 28, 2012
  10. kehaulani

kehaulani Fortissimo User

May 14, 2011
    Hawaian homey
    On another forum, a study was referenced and discussed that put forth the idea that one's most productive learning period was 20 minutes at a time. I wonder if that was tied in to the 20 minute chunks practiced by Knud Hovaldt. Anyone know of this 20-minute approach?

BTW, I haven't seen the book so . . .
    . . . but while the information might be useless on one level, it would seem to me that it could be an entertaining, leisurely read nonetheless.