trumpet question !!?? suggestion

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by mariachiplayer123, Mar 24, 2012.

1. mariachiplayer123

mariachiplayer123 Banned

Jan 1, 2012
    hey guys so ive changed my lip placement to how it was a year ago and i have 3 weeks and ive been advancing little by little .. my question is why is it that the first two days of practice my lips feel great but then the third day of tht week they kinda hurt or feel sore..... is tht normal? ,will it damage my lips?.............................i had a gig last week of 2 hours and i couldnt play for crap . i kno tht is because i hav a little since i started in my old lip placement. should i just practice like 20 min a day so tht they dont get sore ????? ................also after thth first week i notice a little lump inside my top lip. it looks kinda white and little ... what can it be ??? it doest seem to really hurt but i do experience the soreness of the lips.

2. DaTrump

DaTrump Forte User

Oct 21, 2011
    Huntsville, Texas
    How much pressure are you using? How demanding are your gigs? What mpc are you using?

I played a mariachi set a few nights ago, and well I have a new respect for full time players!

3. mariachiplayer123

mariachiplayer123 Banned

Jan 1, 2012
    ummm i really dont use any pressure in low staff but when i play high notes i do use more pressure because my lips are not use to it anymore...... the gigs are very demanding . i was gonna go to another gig today but it got cancelled thnk god cause my lips hurt when playing high notes.... it doesnt huert in the low staff at all.. my cheeks also feel sore/tired.. any advice??? thnx

4. codyb226

codyb226 Banned

Mar 9, 2011
    Florida, US
    Just rest your lips when you can. Try not to use a lot of pressure in the upper register, there should be little if any difference in pressure then the middle register.

5. DaTrump

DaTrump Forte User

Oct 21, 2011
    Huntsville, Texas
    It sounds like you use way to pressure which can cause swelling, which then goes into your mouthpiece and does all kinds of fun stuff. My advice, take a week off (I know this is probably the hardest part) and get used to less pressure. Maybe try a mpc with a comfy rim and a little shallower cup, I hate to make recommendations like that but it sounds like it fits the situation.

6. mariachiplayer123

mariachiplayer123 Banned

Jan 1, 2012
    yea thts what im gonna do .. im gonna rest till monday so my lips heal.... do you think it can cause any serious damage ?

7. DaTrump

DaTrump Forte User

Oct 21, 2011
    Huntsville, Texas
    If you keep pushing it, yes it can. If I remember you have a post similar to this one don't you?

8. codyb226

codyb226 Banned

Mar 9, 2011
    Florida, US
    That sounds like it is worth trying.

Good and I dont know about damage.....

9. mariachiplayer123

mariachiplayer123 Banned

Jan 1, 2012
    yea ill do tht thnx

10. patkins

patkins Forte User

Nov 22, 2010
    Tuscaloosa, AL.
    Instead of trying to use pressure against the lips to get higher registry, try using your brain. In other words, try to play (after you take your break) very softly. Don't go for loud. Reaching higher is as much about being mentally into it!
    By the way, yes you can cause harm. We have nerves which cause our muscles to work, and our lips to feel. Too much pressure can cause nerve injury.
    I read that Louis Armstrong blew his lip out. That is why he increasingly relied on his singing as time wore on. You can tell in his earlier recordings a definite difference in his endurance, and more of his trumpeting skills were relied on, than his voice. He still is "one of the greatest." His music sets him apart.