trumpet question !!?? suggestion

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by mariachiplayer123, Mar 24, 2012.

1. turtlejimmy

turtlejimmy Utimate User

Jun 6, 2010
    Oregon
    Hahaha ... I had to go back and read my post to see where I stood on the banning issue. I can see that I wasn't for it or against it but didn't appreciate the vocabulary, which was cleaned up considerably. :dontknow: Yeah, whatever. You probably wouldn't toss a jazz lover out of your jazz club for vulgar language ... but if it was loud enough and often enough and disrupted the other customers ... you might eventually ban him from the club.

Turtle

2. codyb226

codyb226 Banned

Mar 9, 2011
    Florida, US
    If he does, can we ban him???

Okay, not really. Maybe we scared him off.

I just didnt think a ban was in order, yes he did say that to Robin and I didnt like it. But not yet, but soon the time may come.

3. DaTrump

DaTrump Forte User

Oct 21, 2011
    Huntsville, Texas
    This may be a little offset to the situation at hand, but I loved the edit!

4. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    Cody,
    we can ban at any time, even without reason. Banning members causes reactions in the community. If the ban is not considered fair, important members leave. If the communities sense of pride, honor and decency are not reflected, important members also leave.

By important I do not mean the "experts". I mean the members that contribute, give us things to read, questions to answer, answers to question.

Often the goals of a forum are reduced to "content". That is a mistake. If I want condensed content, I write a book with a good table of contents. Here, identical content can be presented in various ways, thus covering a greater cross section of people interested. The various mixes of humor and content also can take the air out of an otherwise "heated" discussion. Hot air can take the humor out of a discussion however.

What is important to me is a balance of info and fun, critical view and relative importance, technical/scientific background and visualization and mythbusting. I believe that this balance keeps the "active" community active. I do not worry about the hit and run bloggers or the occasional indignant that think that leaving with a bang leaves a mark. It ain't so.

I think that we have a good balance here. Flame wars are minimal, most active posters get into the flow after a short while. Currently there is a generation conflict however. Because members with little background play expert, the experts are not getting questions, rather BS to argue about. That decreases the attractivity of a forum.

I often think that many of you don't realize why our artists in residence are even here. Surely not to argue about mouthpieces, valves, horns. They have a documented performing background, they have ties to the greatest players on earth - but very few questions. I'd like to take this opportunity to ask you to think about the value that the artists represent - especially to the younger players thinking about a career. Check their sections of the forum out, ask and then LISTEN. They have already heard it all.

Last edited: Apr 26, 2012
  5. turtlejimmy

turtlejimmy Utimate User

Jun 6, 2010
    Oregon
    Good point, about the artists in residence. We're lucky to have them here .... One of the first (and best) threads I ever started here was in Wise Talk, a question about jazz and who I should listen to. Wilmer responded along with a lot of other people and I really felt like a part of the club after that, and discovered new jazz greats to listen to .... my cd collection doubled during that long thread.

Thanks Wilmer!!!

Turtle

6. Steve Hollahan

Steve Hollahan Pianissimo User

May 31, 2011
    Charlotte, NC
    Frequent rest during practice, use low sub-tones a la Claude Gordon and good warmups before gigging are recommended. Changing embouchure position is also something that will affect your problem. You are using new muscles, they need to develop and strengthen. Make sure you are getting enough rest between gigs and during gigs and practice.

7. tedh1951

tedh1951 Utimate User

Oct 18, 2007
    The Wide Brown Land
    Two of my greatest eye openers were seemingly small throw away lines from Wilmer's posts to me - "You are over analysing ..." and "It's not the trumpet.."
    Thanks Wilmer. Thanks Robin too.

8. codyb226

codyb226 Banned

Mar 9, 2011
    Florida, US
    Yes, very good point Robin. I agree with Teds and turtles post too.

9. mariachiplayer123

mariachiplayer123 Banned

Jan 1, 2012
    No u did not scare me away ! Im not gonna waiste my time here cause appearantly there are people tht seem to know it all and do not help at all ... By the way ,ban me like i really give a (here Mariachiplayer123 used another bad word, probably the reason for his brown eyes).

Last edited by a moderator: May 4, 2012
  10. Phil986

Phil986 Forte User

Nov 16, 2009
    Near Portland, OR.
    Mariachiplayer, you seem to be willing to at least waste the time necessary to say you're not going to waste time and include more subpar language in the process. Have you ever considered how the language you use reflect on you? More importantly, how it affects your own tought processes and changes you over time?

Language and thought are so intimately related as to be sometimes impossible to disentangle. In some parts of Africa, they have a saying: Verb is a strange thing, it engenders its mother.

How does your thinking evolve over time when you channel it through profanity? How does it help to get a point across?
    It would be perfectly understandable for you to argue that you have not been treated fairly in Rowuk's initial pointed remark that prompted your emotional reaction. So why are you trying to make his case even stronger?

You say people here do not want to help. The substance of the post that ticked you off was that you keep on repeating the same request for help with the same problem, while seemingly not acknowledgeing suggestions that were previously given. Did you address that substance?

I used to think internet forums were a terrible way to interact with people but I have since reconsidered. They truly offer great opportunities to do so, and even to learn how to better interact. You just have to aprroach them as if you really were in the physical presence of others, but you get the tremendous advantage of having plenty of time to process emotions and hold off your tongue before spouting something rude, stupid or inappropriate. It's up to each to take advantage of it.

Last edited: May 3, 2012