trumpet question

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by mariachiplayer123, Jan 27, 2012.

1. codyb226

codyb226 Banned

Mar 9, 2011
    Florida, US
    A lot. It can just keep splitting your lip and cause pain, make it painful in the upper register, and build up a callus and make it uncomfortable to play.

2. mariachiplayer123

mariachiplayer123 Banned

Jan 1, 2012
    but can it effect the way i can play or it will just cause pain?? cause its not actually a cut cause it always happens intht same little spot .. i think its going to be my front teeth

3. codyb226

codyb226 Banned

Mar 9, 2011
    Florida, US
    Depends, if you dont like it then it will effect your playing because you will try not to have that happen. Find a Mentor to help you out.

4. Mark_Kindy

Mark_Kindy Mezzo Forte User

Jul 11, 2010
    Gainesville, FL
    Try not to discuss the same topic covered in one post by you, in an unrelated post. Commonly, others will read these to find answers to THEIR questions, so it can be confusing for them to find an unrelated topic discussed in a thread they're searching through.

You may build up tougher skin, I never had a problem with that affecting my playing when I had that happen as a result of braces. If you find that it affects your playing, you may want to visit a dentist to see if he can find the source of the issue, if it's not excessive pressure.

5. mariachiplayer123

mariachiplayer123 Banned

Jan 1, 2012
    mark umm at the beginning its easy for me to play high register but after a while i guess my teeth starts to puncture my skin and then it kinda hurts to play on high register

6. tobylou8

tobylou8 Utimate User

Dec 22, 2008
    Virginia
    Too much pressure being used!!

7. gbdeamer

gbdeamer Forte User

Oct 16, 2008
    You're doing it wrong.

You shouldn't be regularly be puncturing your lip when you play.

An internet forum won't be able to help you. You'll hear advice here about playing with "less pressure", people asking if you're "upstream or downstream", and lots of other things that wil confuse you.

A real teacher who can sit with you and look at (and listen to) what you're doing wrong is what you need.

Otherwise you're going to end up being that guy who mashes the horn into your face to play high and loud while cutting your lips.

8. codyb226

codyb226 Banned

Mar 9, 2011
    Florida, US

Simple as that. Dont pinch your lips to go high and use tons of pressure.

kingtrumpet likes this.
  9. kingtrumpet

kingtrumpet Utimate User

Sep 20, 2009
    New York State USA
    o

Last edited: Jan 30, 2012
  10. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    I bought a new car and keep driving it into the wall...............

Mariachi123, who is helping you get started? Experimenting until something about your playing is broken and THEN trying to figure out what went wrong is a recipe for frustration.

Everything that you describe shows that you don't even know what the basics of playing are and have no command of the things necessary to make trumpet playing fun. You need a teacher. The sooner, the better.