Trumpet Quiz Redux.

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by richtom, Feb 12, 2012.

1. richtom

richtom Forte User

Dec 7, 2003
    Owing to the overwhelming response to the first Trumpet Quiz, here is a much tougher one. Since it mainly involves players in particular, I've placed it here instead of horns.

1) Bernard (Benny) Baker was Toscanini's great principal trumpet. What happened to this legendary player that ended his career when he was at his peak?

2) Benny Baker had two students who became great world famous trumpet players in very different genres than classical. (One has made some fine semi-classical recordings). Name them. (Hints: One is still very active and the other died rather suddenly a few years back).

3) As very young men, Baker's above two extremely famous trumpeters played together in a section in whose big band, although neither were the lead trumpet?

4) What 4 orchestras did Frank Kaderabek perform in?

5) Who were the three fabulous trumpeters in Benny Goodman's orchestra from 1936 to 1938? (This was perhaps the greatest big band section ever).

6) What was Vincent Bach's real last name?

7) What might you see Phil Smith doing on a sidewalk in NY? (No, NOT just walking).

8) Sir Malcolm Arnold was a great trumpet player before turning to composing. What FAMOUS movie did he score and write music for?

9) Who did John Williams write his extremely difficult trumpet concerto for?

10) The great Malcolm McNab has done much of his incredible film and TV show playing on what size bore horn?

11) Rafael Mendez had two devastating injuries to his face. One was in the 1930's which took him two years to recover from. How was he injured the second time, somewhat later in his life?

12) The great William Vacchiano once had a vest made to store his mouthpieces he would use in concert. True or False.

13) Many of Vacchiano's pupils have gone on to astonishing careers, one of them is the long time principal of the Minnesota Orchestra. Who is this famous pupil?

14) The late, great Maurice Murphy's first recording made as principal trumpet of the London Symphony was what piece and what note is the first note heard from the principal trumpet?

15) Who was Harry James' famous movie star wife? (I know, I know. Not really a trumpet question).

16) What wonderful female player had a long and illustrious career in the Cincinnati Symphony and Cincinnati Pops?

17) At which school do the great husband and wife team of Charlie Geyer and Barbara Butler teach?

18) James F. Burke did not let this disability stop him from becoming a world famous trumpeter. What was this disability?

That's enough for now.

RT

Last edited: Feb 12, 2012
  2. coolerdave

coolerdave Utimate User

Nov 7, 2009
    San Pedro
    Holy Cow.. these are tough ... did you know all of these off the top of your head RT?

3. richtom

richtom Forte User

Dec 7, 2003
    No takers, eh? Oh, well. Here are the answers.
    Owing to the overwhelming response to the first Trumpet Quiz, here is a much tougher one. Since it mainly involves players in particular, I've placed it here instead of horns.

1) Bernard (Benny) Baker was Toscanini's great principal trumpet. What happened to this legendary player that ended his career when he was at his peak?
    A lip injury in S. America on tour with the NBC. He was not able to practice for a few days and during a rehearsal, he damaged his lip which never recovered.

2) Benny Baker had two students who became great world famous trumpet players in very different genres than classical. (One has made some fine semi-classical recordings). Name them. (Hints: One is still very active and the other died rather suddenly a few years back).
    Maynard Ferguson and Doc Severinsen

3) As very young men, Baker's above two extremely famous trumpeters played together in a section in whose big band, although neither were the lead trumpet?
    Charlie Barnett's Big Band. Lead trumpet was Ray Wetzel. Another great lead player, Johnny Howell was also in that section.

4) What 4 orchestras did Frank Kaderabek perform in?
    Dallas, Chicago, Detroit, and Philadelphia.

5) Who were the three fabulous trumpeters in Benny Goodman's orchestra from 1936 to 1938? (This was perhaps the greatest big band section ever).
    Harry James, Ziggy Elman, and Chris Griffin.

6) What was Vincent Bach's real last name?
    Schrottenbach.

7) What might you see Phil Smith doing on a sidewalk in NY? (No, NOT just walking).
    Playing cornet in a Salvation Army Band.

8) Sir Malcolm Arnold was a great trumpet player before turning to composing. What FAMOUS movie did he score and write music for?
    The 1957 Academy Award winner Bridge over the River Kwai. Sir Malcolm won an academy award for that score. He did NOT write the Colonel Bogey March.

9) Who did John Williams write his extremely difficult trumpet concerto for?
    Tim Morrison

10) The great Malcolm McNab has done much of his incredible film and TV show playing on what size bore horn?
    A medium bore Bach 38 bell. He uses whatever works, but medium works well for his work. The fact he is great is certainly is a factor.

11) Rafael Mendez had two devastating injuries to his face. One was in the 1930's which took him two years to recover from. How was he injured the second time, somewhat later in his life?
    In the later 60s, he brought some baseball equipment to his hometown in Mexico. An over zealous youngster swung a bat hitting Mendez in the jaw, breaking his jaw and knocking out some back teeth.

12) The great William Vacchiano once had a vest made to store his mouthpieces he would use in concert. True or False.
    True.

13) Many of Vacchiano's pupils have gone on to astonishing careers, one of them is the long time principal of the Minnesota Orchestra. Who is this famous pupil?
    One of my favorite players, Manny Laureano.

14) The late, great Maurice Murphy's first recording made as principal trumpet of the London Symphony was what piece and what note is the first note heard from the principal trumpet?
    From numerous sources, his first time out was to record Star Wars with John Williams. The first note is a high concert Bb, or high C on his usual Bb instrument.

15) Who was Harry James' famous movie star wife? (I know, I know. Not really a trumpet question).
    Betty Grable, the fabulous WWII pin-up. Her legs were supposedly insured for $1,000,000.00

16) What wonderful female player had a long and illustrious career in the Cincinnati Symphony and Cincinnati Pops?
    Marie Speziale

17) At which school do the great husband and wife team of Charlie Geyer and Barbara Butler teach?
    They are currently at Northwestern University in Evanston, Il. A couple of their recent pupils have won BIG jobs in major orchestras.

18) James F. Burke did not let this disability stop him from becoming a world famous trumpeter. What was this disability?
    James Burke was injured during his birth. He was a very large baby and he was injured during his difficult birth. The injury severely damage the nerves in his right arm rendering it useless. He used his left hand to play the trumpet and cornet and he was a great player.

There are your answers. If anyone sees anything wrong, please correct the wrong answer.

4. bachfella

bachfella Mezzo Piano User

Oct 11, 2011
    Claymont, DE
    Interesting stuff, especially William Vacchiano's mouthpiece vest. I'm somewhat embarrassed to report that I only knew 4 of the answers!!:dontknow:

5. bumblebee

bumblebee Fortissimo User

Jan 21, 2010
    Great Southern Land
    I only knew (8) without resorting to Google... Malcolm Arnold is great -- when I played in a british brass band the Arnold pieces were among my favourites.

--bumblebee