Trumpet Rant

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by virtualessence, Jul 15, 2013.

1. virtualessence

virtualessence New Friend

May 18, 2013
  2. mctrumpet98

mctrumpet98 Pianissimo User

Sep 29, 2011
    Down Under
    I agree. It's an arse or an instrument regarding trying to excel at it. And it's unforgiving. And there'll be long periods of time when you won't improve. But you should NOT give up. What'll that achieve? The trumpet is challenge and when you do notice improvements.. well, you feel amazing.

3. virtualessence

virtualessence New Friend

May 18, 2013
    But I don't plan on going to college for trumpet playing or anything like that. It was supposed to be more of a hobby and give me something to do for high school. Once my high school years are done, I'll basically stop playing for good unless I have some sort of revelation, haha. My band environment is rather harsh, and I just would have thought that after 6 years of practicing I would have seen substantial improvements, but my progress sort of halted around 8th grade. It was a real downer to see my friends along with incoming freshmen progressing past my level by the end of my sophomore year while I saw no results.

Last edited: Jul 15, 2013
  4. DaTrump

DaTrump Forte User

Oct 21, 2011
    Huntsville, Texas

I got beat out of state by a freshman, and a sophomore. I gave lessons to a kid that beat me for area auditions. It happens. Our graduate student is second chair to a sophomore in college that she taught.

5. J. Jericho

J. Jericho Fortissimo User

Mar 16, 2011
  6. Cornyandy

Cornyandy Fortissimo User

Jan 9, 2010
    East Yorkshire
    What a well mannered young man and such a wonderful grasp of Anglo Saxon. Well if you never intended to keep at the trumpet you should never have started it. It is a life long obsession not a high school toy.

7. bumblebee

bumblebee Fortissimo User

Jan 21, 2010
    Great Southern Land
    Sounds like you might be using too much pressure on your lips (I presume that's you in the video?) and are trying to play loud and high by practising loud and high. Perhaps it's counter-intuitive, but I found my best progress was made when I practised with as little pressure against my lips as I could while playing long soft tones starting in the middle of the staff and working low as well as high. I am glad you say you're not the type to quit anything, so I wish you well in having another go (and trying not to repeat the stuff you honestly know yourself isn't working out for you). Write back in a bit when you've had a further crack at it.

(And by the way, if it is you in the video, please ease off the f word - it doesn't do you any favours and I'd rather people like my young son not unexpectedly hear too much of that. Thanks.)

--bumblebee

8. rockwell

rockwell Pianissimo User

Dec 6, 2011
    Raises the question of back pressure's effect on cognitive processes. Seriously, he's got some points.

9. DaveH

DaveH Piano User

Nov 27, 2003
    Well...an interesting video. And I agree, there are some valid underlying issues with which I can actually sympathize.

I think this gentleman has solved his own problem. He has decided to give up the trumpet and take up the guitar. Nothing wrong with that. I have occasionally seen people who found they took up the wrong instrument for some reason, and then switched to something else with greater success.

I agree with some of his rant about marching bands in the 21st century....too high and too loud. I don't know about the geographical differences he talks about, but I do know how things seem to be much different now as compared to many years ago when I was in high school. Much different is probably an understatement. Playing as loud and high as possible back in my day would have caused pretty big trouble with the director...not allowed then.

He states he wanted the experience of playing the trumpet in high school with no further or longer term plans...so now, he has had the experience and found it to be unsuccessful and disappointing. I would call that a learning experience; life is full of such experiences.

I also agree that playing the guitar and playing the trumpet can be two totally different experiences. Two totally different instruments with totally different playing and technical requirements. What works well for one person may not be so good for another.

Although I understand how some of the frustration being expressed can come about and some of the underlying issues involved, the case could be more effectively made without the profanity.

10. DaveH

DaveH Piano User

Nov 27, 2003
    Just as another thought - and not meaning to change the topic in any way; however, since marching band was mentioned and reflecting back on my days in marching band...

I remember at least a couple cases where individuals actually switched instruments.

For example, I knew a guy who was actually a piano player, but wanted to be in the marching band. So, he was allowed to play baritone. Then, there was a guy who tried to play sax with no success; he ended up on sousaphone for marching season.

Sometimes, if a person wants to be in marching band, and the director is willing and able, some adjustments can be made.

Just saying.