Trumpet Rant

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by virtualessence, Jul 15, 2013.

1. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    You know, when I was in high school studying with Eugene Blee who was principle trumpet at that time with the Cincinnati Symphony Orchestra... he would ALWAYS end a lesson with me going over what he expected I should have prepared for the next week's lesson... and did so with the comment "This will keep you off the streets". I the time, I had no idea what that meant, but he worked me so hard, it did just that. A few years later while in college, his weekly advice came into my memory, and for the first time, it really hit me what he meant from this phrase. Just as you summarized above! Mr. Blee was not only a musical inspiration for me, but protected me from a cultural vice that at that time, I was just too naive to understand. Thank you Mr. Blee. Thank you Mr. Jericho for bring back such a fine memory.

2. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    Wow... you know, that was EXACTLY my perception when I finished high school and started college. THANK goodness, I need to make a few bucks to help pay for college, as I taught trumpet lessons on weekends over the summer just prior to starting college. On the bulletin board of the music studio I taught at (Buddy Rodger's Music - North College Hill), was a stick up note stating they needed a musician as a replacement for a battle of the bands later that week. I answered that add, auditioned, got the gig, we won the battle, and that band turned out to pay my entire ride through college playing 4 nights a week. That band got me into the University of Cincinnati's Jazz Big Band from the encouragement of one of my Rock Band members, which lead to my becoming a lead player for the Statesmen at Colorado State University for grad school, which gave me the incentive to study with Claudio Roditi when my research mentor transferred to the City University of New York. This experience gave me the skills and motivation to continue to play though fellowship training, medical school, residency and my current professional career as a physician. And now that I am 4 years away from retiring as a University Professor, I have set my goals to being a full time jazz musician.

So I cannot predict for you where your next 40 years will take you, but for me, what started as a hobby, may well indeed become my final profession, AND the profession where I feel I can get the most gratification out of my own potential, AND better touch the lives and passions of others.

3. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    The person posting this video is suffering from a bad case of immaturity. This would be a good instructional video of how NOT to practice the trumpet.

Last edited: Jul 15, 2013
  4. dBeav

dBeav Pianissimo User

May 1, 2013
    Detroit Area
    I was diagnosed with this at an early age. I still have severe flare ups quite frequently.

:D

Last edited: Jul 15, 2013
  5. rockwell

rockwell Pianissimo User

Dec 6, 2011
    I was born immature. <now sobbing in self-pity>

6. Conntribution

Conntribution Fortissimo User

Dec 25, 2010
    Lloyd Harbor NY.
    [​IMG]

7. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    The new edition of DSM-5 has a diagnosis for this. Immaturity isn't even in the Differential.:noway:

8. robrtx

robrtx Mezzo Forte User

May 26, 2012
    Hawaii
    This makes me a bit sad (assuming the video poster is sincere).

This fellow seems to be lacking appropriate guidance from his high school music program and/or trumpet teacher and playing trumpet just is not fun for him.........

When I hear a HS Sophomore talk about playing "higher, faster, louder" and to the point of fatigue that he cannot play for days, I think that something is really missing, and that the poster would be better served to find a teacher/mentor who can offer direction and set goals appropriate to age/skill level with a reasonable, systematic approach.

I think that there is more to skill development than simply extreme playing to exhaustion.........

9. robrtx

robrtx Mezzo Forte User

May 26, 2012
    Hawaii
    He is a HS Sophomore............

10. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    Oh that changes EVERYTHING as based on Erickson's stages of emotional development... this is a "right of passage" then!ROFL