Trumpet Rant

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by virtualessence, Jul 15, 2013.

1. robrtx

robrtx Mezzo Forte User

May 26, 2012
    Hawaii
    No, not everything. Just how I would filter the "sophomoric" and unsophisticated delivery (language, sunglasses, etc.) and interpret the message; a frustrated teenager seeking guidance on what he should do to achieve better results. :cool:

2. DaveH

DaveH Piano User

Nov 27, 2003
    Frustration does not legitimize profanity, regardless of age.

If help and guidance are really and truly desired, then may I suggest that it be sought from local sources such as parents, teachers, band directors, school counselors, etc? The Internet is probably the last and least effective place to find help, if, in fact, such is really desired. I always wonder why people seek to find answers and solve problems through the Internet when many kinds of issues are much better dealt with on a personal level, and in many cases, can only be addressed on a personal level.

This is an excellent example of why many people who are serious about playing the trumpet take private lessons. That is usually the best path to progress and skill development. It requires the creation and building of a teacher/student partnership. It includes mutual respect and trust, and a willingness on the student's behalf to be a effective and committed learner.

The point about "higher, faster, and louder" is, in my opinion, extremely valid; and constitutes a serious indictment of what seems to me to often be the contemporary approach to the high school marching band experience.

I am sure there are a variety of professional personnel in the high school who would be able and happy to provide assistance and guidance. However, they will probably not be willing to listen to the profanity. Then, as usual, it is up to the individual as to whether the advice, counsel, and guidance will be followed.

And, there's really nothing wrong with deciding to go with the guitar.

Last edited: Jul 16, 2013
  3. Dean_0

Dean_0 Piano User

Jan 21, 2013
    NE
    Sry did he have a point ?? after the first 2 swear words i dozed off:bleah:

Cool? ,,,,,,,,,not even
    punk? ,,,,,,,,most likely

Dean_0

4. DaveH

DaveH Piano User

Nov 27, 2003
    I think two points of truth emerged from the rant; however, I already was aware of these.

First, the trumpet is a difficult instrument. It takes proper technique, quality instruction, effective and efficient practice; as well as lots of commitment, perseverance, determination, hard work, time, and patience to become a skillful player. Private lessons are usually necessary for anyone who is serious about becoming a good player.

The second point relates to the comments about marching band, which I suspect are correct in general, and therefore, quite unfortunate. I graduated from high school in 1969. I was in marching band. My father was the high school band director. Yes, times have changed in the last 45 years. That doesn't mean that every time something changes, it changes for the better. Sometimes not.

"Higher, faster, and louder" is a phrase that I think might describe the "climate" of high school marching band nowadays. That, in my opinion, is an unfortunate situation.

In my day, someone who would have tried the "higher, faster, louder" routine (no one even heard of such a thing) would have been labelled a "show off", and someone who simply wanted to call attention to himself/herself at the expense of everyone else. No one did stuff like that. He/she would have been laughed at, and would certainly not have been the recipient of any respect or admiration. He/she could well have been subject to being expelled from the band if such behavior did not cease.

However, I hold the director responsible for what is permitted in the band, for guiding and directing the musical and performing standards of the band, and for setting and enforcing suitable standards and expectations of behavior for band members. I know my father did, and did it extremely well for 33 years. Our high school was able to boast top quality, no nonsense, disciplined, well playing, outstanding marching bands - and concert bands also - for many, many years. They were the pride of the school and community.

Last edited: Jul 18, 2013
  5. Masterwannabe

Masterwannabe Mezzo Piano User

Sep 11, 2009
    Colorado
    What is his point? I think he has demonstrated a problem that seems to running rampant in a lot of young people today. He feels he is entitled to be good without any effort, he has no basis in reality because of too many reasons to mention but bad TV and maybe bad parenting lead the list.

6. tobylou8

tobylou8 Utimate User

Dec 22, 2008
    Virginia
    I quit watching at the first f-bomb so I don't know what his problem is besides a really bad attitude. Apocalypse getting closer!! ROFL

7. tobylou8

tobylou8 Utimate User

Dec 22, 2008
    Virginia
    Careful, people have been banned for less "offensive" info!!! ROFLROFLROFL

8. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    I blame this all on Walt Disney.... Their programming "reality" is all kids need instant gratification... and all adults are buffoons.

9. DaveH

DaveH Piano User

Nov 27, 2003
    I think the notion that someone can become an excellent trumpet player in a short period of time and without professional instruction is a really unfortunate and misguided idea.

I have seen this idea come up elsewhere on the Internet. Not with as much profanity, but come up just the same. And yes, I think it is a product of the contemporary culture.

Last edited: Jul 18, 2013