Trumpet Related Help - Valuations or Info?

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Rusk, Mar 4, 2013.

1. edfitzvb

edfitzvb Forte User

Jun 10, 2008
    Woodlawn, VA
    I thought ALL of the Ambassadors with the shepherd's crook were A6's. All the "usual" Ambassadors that I have seen were without that feature

2. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    Rusk, yes welcome to TM. And despite that once you get to know us, you still stay the course with us. I did, but I'm wierd in a most wonderful way. And soon you will see how we tend to hijack threads BRIEFLY. Refer to my next post.

3. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    Good morning Misty. Good to see you back with us. Hopefully, your sleep was restful and energy charging as you head into your day.

See Rusk, Misty comes to us from the other side of the world, and she greated me with a warm morning welcome as I started my day today, and I am returning that warm welcome, eventhough it is tomorrow for her. Its like being in "Back to the Future" here on TM.

4. Rusk

Rusk New Friend

Feb 25, 2013
    So, it's possible the coronet is a rare or odd one...

My weekend mission is;

Take more photographs of it.
    Take more photographs of the case.

Anything else to help find a rough value?

5. Vulgano Brother

Vulgano Brother Moderator Staff Member

Mar 23, 2006
    Parts Unknown
    I don't think it is all that odd, and maybe not all that rare. Ambassadors are frequently used to make lamps out of. That said, we've got some good folk that hang out in the Vintage Horn section that will give honest appraisals. Like I said, we are altruistic. If you go for an E-Bay thing, please call it a cornet. Coronets are worn on the head.

There is a different forum for THose that wear mezzo-soprano instruments on their heads.

6. First horn is a cornet probably 1925 to 1950 manufacture/restored up to $1000.00/ in this condition 1 to 2 hundred second horn looks like a silver belled trombone unknown make/ very sought after by collectors /be very careful if you decide to sell it /it could be worth a lot of ching/third horn is probably low end bundy conn or reynolds tenor bone/fairly common/need to know mfgr to make price assessment!!!

7. Rusk

Rusk New Friend

Feb 25, 2013
    The second one says "Olds" on it just like the first - and it's very brass coloured in the flesh, if that helps.

I forgot to add, I'm transmitting live from the other side of the globe, in England.

Be gentle.

8. Sturmbill

Sturmbill Pianissimo User

Feb 11, 2004
    Virginia
    Rusk, the first thing you might want to d is look up the serial numbers, and you can do that here: F. E. Olds & Sons Serial Number Listings

The you might like to look here: 1977 Olds Catalog

Might give you a better idea of what you have!

Bill

BTW, the cornet in my avatar is my '64 Ambassador with a Yamaha bell. It is my attempt at an A6!

9. tobylou8

tobylou8 Utimate User

Dec 22, 2008
    Virginia
    The cornet is an A6 Ambassador made for export to Britain/Europe in the late 70's. It isn't the student line cornet but a "pro" shepherds crook cornet to fit in with the British Brass Band style sound. Most were silver plated, so lacquer is unusual, not rare though. Without better pics, it's hard to tell what their true condition is although they look decent. Trombones aren't nearly as sought after as trumpets or cornets, so they may be worth a couple hundred each. Helping a student is a great idea.

10. velcrohead

velcrohead New Friend

Jul 14, 2013
    Hi I am new to trumpetmaster and have a question about Boosey and Hawkes serial numbers. I was told that boosey and hawkes got together in the mid 1930's, but the serial numbers for boosey and hawkes appear to go back before this time, so how can this be...... Or do I have the serial number thing stuffed up. I have looked on several sites and they all appear the same, so can you help shed some light on this or refer me to someone who you may know that can assist.
    Thankyou