Trumpet Related Injuries

Discussion in 'Trumpet Pedagogy' started by Alrocks, Feb 8, 2015.

1. Alrocks

Alrocks New Friend

Jan 22, 2015
    Devon, UK
    I'm new here. I started playing the trumpet 37 years ago, gave it up 34 years ago, and just started again a week ago.

I remember as a first trumpet in the school orchestra when I was aged about 10, I was warming up in the pit before a performance, when an incredibly obese tuba player barged through, sending music stands flying and pushing my trumpet and mouthpiece into my lips and splattering them all over my teeth. I think that was the day I leant to swear!

I'm curious to hear what trumpet related injuries other members of this forum have had?

Here's a photoshop I just made depicting a trumpet related injury my neighbours would like to give me as of this week!
    [​IMG]

trumpet_bum.jpg

Donald trumpet and Acludwig1 like this.
  2. robrtx

robrtx Mezzo Forte User

May 26, 2012
    Hawaii
    Wow! Bell first no less! You must've really ticked them off! :lol:

Many years ago I was playing in the pit orchestra for "Brigadoon" and I was accidentally kicked in the back of the head by one of the cast members during a dance segment. No injury but shocked the bejesus out of me and my section mates as I lurched forward............

3. 4INer

4INer Pianissimo User

Dec 31, 2013
    Not sure if this qualifies as an injury or a cure, but when I was in my early adolescence I tended to play with way to much pressure and tension. I would tense up my abdomen, chest, neck cheeks.... force the mouthpiece halfway down my throat, and blow as hard as I could. One day while playing a quadruple J# I pushed so hard that not only did my face turn all different shades of purple as my vision blurred and I got light headed, but all of my acne burst open all over the place. I haven't had a pimple since..................ROFLROFLROFL

4. Newell Post

Newell Post Piano User

Mar 31, 2014
    Silicon Valley
    I'll never forget playing a pit orchestra for a local beauty pageant when the morbidly obese matron/impresario fell off the stage into the pit during the grand finale procession, landing on top of the slightly less obese tuba player. Show halted. Matron went to the hospital in an ambulance. Tuba totalled. Tuba player bruised and sprained. I escaped with slight scrapes and bruises. Heaven knows what would have happened to the matron if the tuba hadn't broken her fall......

5. Jazzy816

Jazzy816 Pianissimo User

Jun 5, 2013
    USA
    Pit rehearsals start in 2 days. Thanks for the nightmares!

6. J. Jericho

J. Jericho Fortissimo User

Mar 16, 2011
    Don't they know you're supposed to buzz into the mouthpiece, not the bell?

7. FireandAir

FireandAir Pianissimo User

Aug 12, 2014
    Beat me to it. I was going to say that, if it had been inserted mouthpiece-first, he might have been able to play a nice tune after a burrito. :-)

Donald trumpet likes this.
  8. J. Jericho

J. Jericho Fortissimo User

Mar 16, 2011
    It just occurred to me that, considering the way the trumpet is positioned, that this particular injury could be the result of using excessive mouthpiece pressure. Let this be a warning to all....

Brassman64 likes this.
  9. robrtx

robrtx Mezzo Forte User

May 26, 2012
    Hawaii
    Wear your helmet and you'll be fine.........:lol:

10. robrtx

robrtx Mezzo Forte User

May 26, 2012
    Hawaii
    Remind me never to buy a trumpet and /or mouthpiece from you guys.........:lol:

Brassman64 likes this.