Trumpet Repair-Los Angeles

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by brassplayer, Dec 22, 2009.

1. brassplayer

brassplayer Pianissimo User

May 6, 2009
    San Gabriel, CA
    Who do you recommend for simple trumpet repairs (e.g., valve alignment) in the Los Angeles area. Would prefer a shop with its own techs rather than a place that sends the horn out for work. Thanks.

2. calihorn

calihorn Pianissimo User

Feb 28, 2009
    Robb Stewart

3. Adam V

Adam V Pianissimo User

Nov 1, 2008
    Los Angeles, CA
    You'd be crazy not to go to Bob Reeves! :D

4. ComeBackKid

ComeBackKid Fortissimo User

May 11, 2009
    Yorba Linda, CA
    Here are the ones that I have used...All are very competent and do their own inside work:
    Sam Ash - Cerritos (Chuck Madear used to be the "valve guy" at the Olds Factory in Fullerton).
    Kanstul - Anaheim (Zig Kanstul ran the Olds plant for many years and builds great trumpets, including the valves)
    Anaheim Band Instrument - Anaheim (Dave Brown is as fair and competent a guy as you will ever find - does good and fast work).
    Anglin Instrument Repair - Fullerton (Randy Anglin has been doing this stuff for a long time. His shop is a bit on the "disorganized" side but he does great work and is very reasonable)
    Orlando's Wind Instruments - South El Monte (Orlando Castenada has been in the music world for a long time, knows many of the 'big names' and takes a personal hands-on approach to all of the work that is done in his shop).

So, if any of these are close to you and you want specific contact information, let me know which ones.

5. y-o-y

y-o-y Pianissimo User

Sep 25, 2009
    Long Beach, CA
    Great list! I have had work done at both ABI and Kanstul and wouldn't hesitate to recommend either of them.

I will add Sawday and Holmes in Long Beach. The owner, Don Sawday studied with Bob Malone and also designs horns for Jupiter.

6. Adam V

Adam V Pianissimo User

Nov 1, 2008
    Los Angeles, CA
    I completely forgot about Sawday, which is weird seeing as how I'm also in Long Beach... :shock: