Trumpet Repair Tools

Discussion in 'Trumpet Repair and Modification' started by GijsVis, Aug 26, 2012.

1. GijsVis

GijsVis Piano User

Jul 23, 2012
    Hey TM,

I know there are lots of techs around here, and I'm busy restauring horns as well, but by mostly just improvising some tools (Well, tools, wooden sticks, a rubber hammer, silicon spray, etc. And I have access to a supersonic cleaner :D). Now I'm looking for some real tools, things I can make myself, I have machines to make stuff, a column drill, a turning workbench (What's that in English, it's like a rotating workbench), and much more, because I work at a welding and steel construction company, or thing I can buy, no $500 dollar machines, but just basic tools for dent repair, tube cleaning, taking stuck parts out etc. Does anyone know some things? Because things would be one heck of a lot easier that way :lol:.

Thanks,
    Gijs Vis

2. turtlejimmy

turtlejimmy Utimate User

Jun 6, 2010
    Oregon
    Gum. I'd recommend Bubbleicious. Can repair a whale of a lot of things ..... :thumbsup:

Turtle

3. kingtrumpet

kingtrumpet Utimate User

Sep 20, 2009
    New York State USA
    I'm not a tech --- so my advice is worthless ---- the finest thing, I have found for "moderately" stuck slides is a towel that you wrap around the slide (the inside of the round part) --- and it provides even pressure on the slide, so LIGHT pulls on the towel, can help remove the slide without denting it.
    Of course - this towel is not new a new tool -- and not hi-tech, but I couldn't resist adding it, because -- it wasn't mentioned before.

great to have someone like you - who is interested in instrument repair --- I only know of a couple of qualified people in my area -- and they are overbooked in repair jobs.

have you thought about repairing other instruments --(flutes, clarinet, non brass?) -- just a thought as it might be an useful (hobby) to help repair instruments

4. GijsVis

GijsVis Piano User

Jul 23, 2012
    Yes, I've done the towel trick a few times before, and it worked quite well, but I've got an old euphonium with really stuck slides, I was able to get out two of them with a towel and some silicon spray (The stuff used to clean/grease bicycle chains), but there's two left.

Yes I just loving working on horns, I've done three now, not professional at all, but I've made them from an old scrap of brass to playable horns, and I have two other horns right now to fix up. I just need/want to learn lots of new stuff and tricks on how to do it, and some good tools for the job.

I might try some other instruments later on, when I have more experience, but for now horns, which I get how they work and how to improve them, keep me busy enough. I did fix a guitar from my brother, where the neck was broken and the tuning things were stuck and old, it came out nicely.

I might ask at the music store/repair shop how they do it, and ask if I can have a look, but I don't think they would appriciate that, since than the don't make money ey. :lol:

5. tobylou8

tobylou8 Utimate User

Dec 22, 2008
    Virginia
    GijsVis likes this.
  6. GijsVis

GijsVis Piano User

Jul 23, 2012
    Thanks! These sites are really usefull :D

Tools like the slide knocker ( D'S T-SLIDE KNOCKEROUTER ) or the mpc shank tool ( VALENTINO BRASS MOUTHPIECE SHANK TOOL ) seem really usefull right now, and I can make these quite easily in the workplace, which would give me one about $30 cheaper, and lots of other tools I can just order, thanks a lot :).

Does anybody have the two tools listed above, or something similar? Would you mind giving some measurements or something then?

7. Cornyandy

Cornyandy Fortissimo User

Jan 9, 2010
    East Yorkshire
    Sounds like a popular idea at the moment that's one reason I bought that Lincoln Selmer was to do it up if I can. I like the slide knocker outer idea and was about to fashion myself a specific version for my new toy

8. motteatoj

motteatoj Mezzo Forte User

Feb 23, 2013
    Tuckahoe, NY
    Does anyone know of brass instrument repair classes?

9. barliman2001

barliman2001 Fortissimo User

Jul 5, 2010
    Vienna, Austria, Europe
    A supersonic cleaner? Out of the Concorde factory, no doubt ;) What you mean is an ultrasound bath...

10. Ed Lee

Ed Lee Utimate User

Aug 16, 2009
    Jackson NC
    IMO "Ultra" ... and "Super"... in this context have the same meaning. Likewise "Sonics" and "Sound". A super sonic aircraft is one that breaks the sound barrier as means only that its speed is faster than the speed of [yet known to humans] sound.